SD card undetectable on camera and PC

whereisnatalienow

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
Hi, I'm travelling so using internet cafes. Using a memory stick I put my SD card into PC and the folder (DCIM) which stores all my photos had become a screen saver. Later, I did this (to try to get into the folder) :

Click "Start" and type "cmd" into the search box. Press "Enter" and wait for the Command Prompt to appear.

Type "chkdsk x: /f," but replace "x" with your SD card's drive letter.

Now the SD card doesn't show up when I insert it into the PC using the memory stick. I know the memory stick is working because I can still see files that were on it before, but no SD card.

Have tried on a few computers and nothing. Also, when I put the card into my Canon camera it says 'card cannot create folder'.

This is the second memory card that this has happened to, bought the second one as a replacement when it happened the first time a month ago.

There are a lot of important videos and photos on both cards. What can I do?/what is causing this to happen?

GarryH_Geek

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
1. Try to use non-Windows computers having slightly different device protocols.
2. Try to copy or repair the card using physical-level utilities, e.g. GParted (do it accurately!).
3. Save backups as frequently as you can as SDs, unlike CFs, have an annoying tendency to degrade spontaneously.

Best regards.