Searching on Google Chrome redirects to Yahoo Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

garirry

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
The computer of someone I know has a massive problem regarding Yahoo Search. When entering information in the search bar, it automatically redirects to Yahoo Search. I did everything that is obvious, tried uninstalling suspicious programs (although there wasn't anything), checked Google's default search engine, set Chrome to default and deleted all others, disabled all extensions, and reset all Chrome settings. Nothing worked, and occasionally, clicking on a link that redirects to a website redirects instead to Yahoo Search.

This really worries me because I don't like Yahoo, I don't know if they steal/sell info from us, and of top of that there is no obvious presence of the Search Bar neither in my computer nor in Chrome and no matter what I do, there is nothing I succeed doing. Any tips?

Thanks in advance
(PS. sorry if I posted in the wrong forum)

Solution
It may be worth downloading an anti-malware tool, (my favourite is malwarebytes) and a free anti-virus program (i suggest AVG for quick install and just do a full system scan then uninstall or keep it,)

Eldy

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
It may be worth downloading an anti-malware tool, (my favourite is malwarebytes) and a free anti-virus program (i suggest AVG for quick install and just do a full system scan then uninstall or keep it,)

Solution

garirry

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014

Thank you very much, a Malwarebyte scan fixed the problem permanently and it's been over a month without a single problem. Thank you for your help!

Kayleighbub

Commendable
May 17, 2016

Hey it worked! I searched for Yahoo in my programs and nothing came up, but I did find Search Voyage which is apparently a "browser hijacker"? After I uninstalled it Chrome closed and when I opened it again the problem was gone!!

Actually it came back again but then I uninstalled something called webdiscover and now it's gone!

EricN

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
I also ran into this issue. The program that causing issues was named "Search Adventures." Ignored it at first, I thought it was a game my g/f downloaded. A previous user mentioned "Search Voyager" which is what flipped the light switch on for me.

jaishwal25

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017

I am facing the same problem. I have used Malwarebytes but it hasn't showed any threats. Please help me

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Open your PC settings and browser settings to navigate to internet connection to reset everything back to default.

Also, please download these tools and run it at a full scan.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit

HitmanPro

AdwCleaner

ESET Online Scanner

Kaspersky TDSSKiller

Zemana Anti Malware

P:S: When you uninstall Zemana Anti Malware through Control Panel it will left tons of drivers and files behind. So please run CMD as an Administrator and run this code to fully uninstall Zemana off your computer.

sc config ZAM start= disabled
sc config ZAM_Guard start= disabled
net stop ZAM /y
net stop ZAM_Guard /y
sc delete ZAM
sc delete ZAM_Guard
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Zemana" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\Zemana" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\ZmnGlobalSDK" /f
takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zam64.sys" /a
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zam64.sys" /grant:r Administrators:F /c
del "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zam64.sys" /s /f /q
takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zamguard64.sys" /a
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zamguard64.sys" /grant:r Administrators:F /c
del "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zamguard64.sys" /s /f /q
takeown /f "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Zemana AntiMalware" /a /r /d y
icacls "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Zemana AntiMalware" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t /c
rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Zemana AntiMalware" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Zemana" /s /q
rd "%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Zemana" /s /q

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Open your PC settings and browser settings to navigate to internet connection to reset everything back to default.

Also, please download these tools and run it at a full scan.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit

HitmanPro

AdwCleaner

ESET Online Scanner

Kaspersky TDSSKiller

Zemana Anti Malware

P:S: When you uninstall Zemana Anti Malware through Control Panel it will left tons of drivers and files behind. So please run CMD as an Administrator and run this code to fully uninstall Zemana off your computer.

sc config ZAM start= disabled
sc config ZAM_Guard start= disabled
net stop ZAM /y
net stop ZAM_Guard /y
sc delete ZAM
sc delete ZAM_Guard
reg delete "HKCU\Software\Zemana" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\Zemana" /f
reg delete "HKLM\Software\ZmnGlobalSDK" /f
takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zam64.sys" /a
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zam64.sys" /grant:r Administrators:F /c
del "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zam64.sys" /s /f /q
takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zamguard64.sys" /a
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zamguard64.sys" /grant:r Administrators:F /c
del "%WINDIR%\System32\drivers\zamguard64.sys" /s /f /q
takeown /f "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Zemana AntiMalware" /a /r /d y
icacls "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Zemana AntiMalware" /inheritance:r /grant:r Administrators: (OI)(CI)F /t /c <<<< Please no space of "Administrators: ( " when you type it into CMD
rd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Zemana AntiMalware" /s /q
rd "%LocalAppData%\Zemana" /s /q
rd "%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Zemana" /s /q

helensh

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017

sarahg.tcob

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

I was actually trying to fix mine too and none of these solutions worked- then I went into Settings in Windows > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset

It seems to have solved the problem, see if that works for you too

brandonchi123

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Hi garirry. I just today found a solution to this. Go to chrome://settings/ through google.com and scroll down till you find Search Engine. You will then find something saying Search Engine used in the Address Bar and there is a list of options to pick from. Mine was personally set to Yelp but I changed it to Google and it worked. Good Luck (=.

Feb 11, 2018
Had this Issue, 2/11/18 after a Firefox Update On Firefox selected Google Homepage. Search Entered and Result would redirect to Yahoo. Tried Clearing Cache in Firefox and Temp files. Attempted Settings No Good .
Uninstalled Firefox and Firefox Maintenance , Windows 7. Restarted <automatic.
Downloaded and Performed Install of Firefox, After Completion Firefox Takes you to a Page with Most popular Searches , At that point I shutdown Firefox and Started again.
After the Start it had a Message To Do you want to Cleanup Firefox , Press ok and Next message stated it will remove and Extensions, Add Ons and Take settings to Default. Pressed ok and THAT DID the Fixed My Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.