Secret British Nuclear Base Appears on Google Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Terrorist this and terrorist that. What about when we had to worry about enemies like Soviet Russia? They didn't need Google Earth, they had/have their own spy satellites in orbit. Maybe the brits should have just done a better job covering-up their damn base. Trust me, if the Russians knew where it was, someone in Afghanistan found out long ago.

And no, I don't think this is a problem with the higher resolution aerial photographs, spy satellites have resolutions much greater than you get with Google Earth. However, a spy satellite can't just label these locations for you, someone has to look for them in the pictures.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
LOL thats funny, the brits must be running around shredding ultraconfidential documents right now. And how is a darn secret nuke base supposed to look like a secret nuke base like that?Isnt it supposed to look like an ordinary factory or something like that?

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
The British are overreacting. Terrorist is not going to attack boomer or SAS training camp because of they did, they wouldn’t be called terrorist. Attentions are better spend helping the unemployed so they don’t fall into organized crime ring.

Besides, it is a known fact the US is NATO’s only nuclear power as the eight British and French subs won’t last a week in the Atlantic against Soviet subs being outnumbered 8 to 1.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
"nuclear submarine base, and even provides the longitude and latitude coordinates for all terrorists to enjoy and plummet with mortar attacks."

The terrorist threat really isn't that extreme they don't really have the capabilities of attacking in that manner on someone else's soil. This is why they resort to things such as planted bombs when attacking foreign nations because they don't have the ability to do much more.

The only thing that can be considered a threat with this base's existence and location being leaked is if a war breaks out with another advanced nation which has the capabilities of striking the base but that's highly unlikely at this time.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]The British are overreacting. Terrorist is not going to attack boomer or SAS training camp because of they did, they wouldn’t be called terrorist. Attentions are better spend helping the unemployed so they don’t fall into organized crime ring.Besides, it is a known fact the US is NATO’s only nuclear power as the eight British and French subs won’t last a week in the Atlantic against Soviet subs being outnumbered 8 to 1.[/citation]

1. The Russians can have a 20:1 ratio, but inferior technology makes them pointless.

2. They should have covered the base with large twigs to prevent detection.

3. Move the base to a new undisclosed location, or better yet, leave it there and use a little reverse psychology.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I am sure the area is secured. It is not like you can just walk in there and grab yourself a nuke, or perhaps a sub. I suspect you couldn’t get within miles of the base.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
"for all terrorists to enjoy and plummet with mortar attacks"

What exactly does it mean to "plummet" a base?

In any case, these aren't real secrets. It might be news for the average Joe, but Russia and any country willing to pay Russia for secrets has had this information for years. It's not like Google Earth is serving up top secret satellite images.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]"for all terrorists to enjoy and plummet with mortar attacks"What exactly does it mean to "plummet" a base? In any case, these aren't real secrets. It might be news for the average Joe, but Russia and any country willing to pay Russia for secrets has had this information for years. It's not like Google Earth is serving up top secret satellite images.[/citation]

Plummet means to fall. So I think he's suggesting they'd drop mortars on the base. ;)

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
As if nobody can find a whole "secret" army base full of soldiers and personnel without Google Earth. While they're at it, Google should plot out the Queen's palace, parliament house and Sean Connery's humble abode, in case a terrorist would want to "find" these places.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Plummet means to fall. So I think he's suggesting they'd drop mortars on the base.[/citation]
LOL ... I guess this qualifies as blog English.

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Is "Google" the "Terrorist" here? They could have prevented the images from being published but no they ignore the security of our allies which one day could save their country so call "America" from being jacked. This is also similar to the case with Pirate Bay where Google is the "Provider" and claiming “If people are really determined to target these sites they can find these images and there is nothing we can do to stop them." And the "people" within Google are "Distributor" also claiming it wasn't there fault this images get published, they just wanted to share.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Google is evil... Google made bad mistakes.... Google this, and Google that..

hmm that reminds me that i have to search for edible mushrooms, let me ask Mr Google about that :)

TNM

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2007
2 subs?
Whats the fuzz.

Look at what the russkies has up at Kola
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&sll=56.067709,-4.819576&sspn=0.001743,0.003417&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FVb2GgQdx9D4AQ&split=0&ll=69.383955,32.79037&spn=0.010819,0.05579&t=h&z=15

If you need equipment to offload those missiles you are stealing? No problem. Just take a trip over here
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FVb2GgQdx9D4AQ&split=0&t=h&ll=69.260846,33.34372&spn=0.00261,0.013947&z=17

At least the brits have nets blocking access to their nukes from the sea side, but I guess its a bit harder for some random terrorists to get close to Kola than to Scotland, so there is some built in security there.

But the scary part is maybe places like these...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&sll=56.067709,-4.819576&sspn=0.001743,0.003417&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FVb2GgQdx9D4AQ&split=0&ll=69.223821,33.345995&spn=0.002725,0.013947&t=h&z=17

Downtown Murmansk got some interesting stuff as well
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FVb2GgQdx9D4AQ&split=0&t=h&ll=69.039997,33.069277&spn=0.010546,0.05579&z=15

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Yeah this is crap you can't hide a massive installation like this, it's well protected and terrorists wouldn't get near it. As for nuclear war, it won't happen. Once a country has long range nukes, it can't be attacked. The Russians and even Iranians wouldn't do it, if they nuke the west the will lose their big cities and who will buy their oil?

It's worth remembering the only country to have used nukes in a war is the USA.....

Status
Not open for further replies.