Security After DDoS Attack Through Skype IP Resolver

thorneberry

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014
I have a bit of a security situation I need advice with. :??:

Dec. 15
Basically somebody that has it out for me (online) got a hold of my IP from my Skype username. I received threats via a game with 3 of his accounts so far where he is telling me the city I live in and that my IP is finished, that my IP and RL info, including my name and address, will be spread around and posted at various troll hacking sites. Minutes later I'm experiencing a DDoS attack and my current Skype call starts to get staticky and my internet browser becomes unusable because the wi-fi connection slowed immensely. I hung up my Skype call to try and recall to see if it would fix the issue and instead it logged me out of Skype and just kept trying to reconnect me. I restarted my computer just in case it would help and switched to a wired connection instead and I was able to log back into Skype and everything seemed to have been working fine. I switched back to wi-fi for mobility. I haven't had a connection issue after that.

Dec. 19
Fast forward a couple days. I logged into the same game and found he messaged me again on an alt account, and he says "hey ****** (RL name)". I do not post or give out my RL info anywhere online. I don't have my Skype name posted anywhere or linked with my personal e-mail. I am wondering how he could have gotten my name from my IP address. He doesn't even know I'm male or female or my age. But he used a shortened version of my name, a nickname. I have one social media account online and it happens to state my nickname, but the email I use to sign in with is in no way linked to anything else he would know.

All my passwords remain unchanged and everything seems suspiciously normal. I recently found out about the Skype option where you can tick "allow direct connections to your contacts only" so I enabled that immediately. Is it possible for somebody to listen in on private Skype calls where my name could have been said? What about hacking into my computer using open ports? I don't know how else he could have found my name. There's no information I provided that could have led to my personal info. I use McAfee Security Center for antivirus and firewall, but i'm thinking that it isn't secure enough. I've looked into using Comodo Firewall for protection but it only ended up confusing me even more when I couldn't get any of my ports to stealth. Do I even need to go this far? Should I call my ISP and have them change my IP and would this even help me in my situation? This person is literally obsessed and will keep threatening me. I really need advice on how this could have possibly happened so that I can take precaution to prevent this from happening again. I'm stumped at how he could have found my name. It's really violating in terms of my safety and personal life.

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Change your IP address, possibly change your skype name, contact whoever the games support people are and explain this situation. You could always google yourself using the information he had available and see how he linked it back to you.

Does the social media account mention both your real name and online nickname? If so, that's most likely where s/he got your real name.

Stealthing ports is 100% pointless over closed ports. It's basically FUD. It's also your router that this runs on, not your PC.

Changing your IP could help with stopping the DDoS attacks, if you block the hole they got your IP from in the first place.

thorneberry

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014

The social media account only states my RL nickname (shortened version of my real name) and the initial of my last name. This account isn't linked with any information I used on Skype or it's email. :(

Try googling your screen name and real name together. Consider using something like DuckDuckGo too - the results may have been removed from more popular search engines.

Other option that comes to mind is a leaky ISP - if you reverse DNS your IP, does it contain anything more specific than the ISP's name, city, and the IP itself? Anything that looks like a customer number?

thorneberry

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014

I reversed DNS searched my IP and it only contains the ISP, city, and IP, to my knowledge. I don't see anything that looks like a customer number. I do see something that says decimal and ASN with different numbers by them. I have no clue what they mean though. Also my name wouldn't be on the customer account.

thorneberry

Estimable
Dec 21, 2014

I keep my real name off of my Skype to prevent things like this from happening. So there is no way. There must be something I'm missing though. The only other way I'm thinking is if he directly hacked into my computer. How can I tell? I've run my antivirus and it hasn't found anything but it can't be as simple as that. Is there something I should be doing to protect myself?