Solved! Seeking 2.1 Home Cinema Setup

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello all,

I am looking for a relatively cheap 2.1 home theater setup for a very small living room. I am needing something with a HDMI input and a SCART input for the PS3 and Sky Box (respectively) and to obviously output to two satellites and a small sub.

I am a noob when it comes to knowing what to look for in these things so any and all help is appreciated, i'm a UK dweller so could any links be to UK sites please!

Thanks a lot

Solution
nothing in america that has hdmi inputs for 2.1 speaker amplifier combo.

you would need a receiver connected to two speakers and a subwoofer.
since receivers dont play video from the hdmi cord.. its easier to use a different connection.

you will have to spend more for the hdmi input.
or you could take advantage of somebody who is selling their receiver because it doesnt have hdmi inputs.

i am very particular about amplifier quality.
i havent listened to the new round of receivers.. but i dont trust the specifications put on paper.
the amplifier might not have the clarity i desire.
and/or the amplifier might have a colored sound, even if the THD is low.
when you stand there and hear a problem, but nobody else around you does.. it gets...

blaiRred

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
well that's depends on how much your tight with your budget is. but you have to put into mind that when you want something nice, you also need to spend a little. correct? anyway, here is a good tip hedmag(dot)com provides good review. well i think that you already brought in some. too late for me to reply though.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
nothing in america that has hdmi inputs for 2.1 speaker amplifier combo.

you would need a receiver connected to two speakers and a subwoofer.
since receivers dont play video from the hdmi cord.. its easier to use a different connection.

you will have to spend more for the hdmi input.
or you could take advantage of somebody who is selling their receiver because it doesnt have hdmi inputs.

i am very particular about amplifier quality.
i havent listened to the new round of receivers.. but i dont trust the specifications put on paper.
the amplifier might not have the clarity i desire.
and/or the amplifier might have a colored sound, even if the THD is low.
when you stand there and hear a problem, but nobody else around you does.. it gets spooky.

i know of a receiver that has sound quality.. but it doesnt have hdmi inputs.
the receiver is about 9 years old.. but it has enough clarity to play the new high definition surround formats.
i will have to decode the new surround formats to PCM and output each channel as analog.

are you willing to play music and movies on a computer?
there are options that can make cheap setups sound like more expensive ones.
what i am talking about specifically is the THX setup console that comes with creative soundcards.

i dont think there is anything cheap when you buy new.
needing an amplifier and speakers.. the total cost is gonna add up.

are you asking us if we know of something on sale?
are you asking us if we know what to do for higher quality results?

i am asking because it appears as if there is something stopping you from seeing what is for sale all by yourself.

total harmonic distortion is important
choosing the right speakers is important
having the ability to optimize the setup is important.
optimization options are equalizers and distance alignment.
if you have the option to use a high quality sound field, that can help too.

i just dont know if you want to buy a reciever and some speakers.. connect the wires and press play.
because doing that isnt enough to make your money worthwhile.
simple things like getting a receiver that can manipulate the soundfield.. it can increase your smile.

Solution

SweetSpot

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
Great advice all over but I think one other crucial part of information is your listening room / home cinema room and the acoustics within. An old/cheap system in a good room sounds better than a new/expensive system in a bad room. I´d suggest you have a peek here:

Sounds Of Science