Semi-Dead screen/GPU but alive CPU?

desiburger8it

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Semi-Dead screen/GPU but alive CPU?

Hi guys. I have a Sony Vaio E Series (SVE151A11W). It came with Windows 7 and I updated to Windows 10. It was running fine after the update. Suddenly, it has stopped booting with a Video_TDR_Failure. It's something much more than a stupid driver error and I desperately need your help.

So, it was working fine. One day, I dropped a paperweight on it (clumsy me) around the keyboard area but there wasn't even a physical mark of damage.

Now when I try to boot it up, I get this Video_TDR_Failure .... atimpag.sys [Pic 1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Uz0ew02QmDfL2Xo2]

Vaio_Bootup.jpg

I tried Vaio 'Assist' button and that takes me to the same screen. I tried booting off a USB drive with Windows 10 installation created with Windows 10 Media Creator and I reach the same screen.

I tried to boot off with Knoppix Bootable and ended up with a reboot loop with Matrix style green bands

[Pic 2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wp2pX7aDhmuQ73pg1].

AF1QipOk_WsRUw9lE-tVmWYSl4fUcg-tcYQUMxdkFeQv

I tried connecting an external monitor to the VGA output of the Vaio, still the same screen.

Since even attaching an external monitor gives me the same thing, I feel there's something gone wrong with the GPU . And yet, since I'm reaching till the level of Pic 1 and Pic 2 means that the GPU and the hard disk are not entirely dead.

I don't know what to do. Is there any way I can reach to my hard disk and recover my data (without prying open the laptop). Yes I do backups but it was only a couple of days back reserach paper I wrote.

PS: I'm a researcher in sociology (fallen upon hard times, don't want to whine); I'd highly appreciate if someone can help me just ot the system to the point that I can recover my one week back data; those thoughts that I write are not going to come back to me. Please. I can understand a fair bit of computers.

Solution
Need to take the HDD out and recover data on another system. We don't know what else is not working on the laptop, you might ruin the hdd by accessing it from the laptop.