Sennheiser G4ME ZERO setup ?

E-AlRomaithi

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
Hello,

I am willing to buy Sennheiser gaming headset and I am wondering what is the best setup for this kind of headset ?

Currently, I am using asus rampage v extreme on-board audio (SupremeFX).

Do I need to buy .. like an amp, DAC or a sound card (I am noob and really don't know what amp or DAC are for but I have read that it maximize your audio experience)

I am using the headset primarily for gaming and watching movies.

+ If there any other higher quality headsets at this price point, please suggest it.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
depends on your choices and preferences... there are many devices like schiit modi, or nwavguys odac that are only dac which need amplification (or active speakers) and there are many that already have amp bounded to the package odac+o2 combo for example.

yes sound card needs to have both of them - dac to transform 01010101 to sine and amp so you can hear it.
for gaming - the best match would be sound blaster z, for games and movies sound blaster titanium hd (sometimes it can have problems with some games from time to time, but it's the better choice)

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
get a decent sound card. if you game a lot, then sound blaster z or sound blaster titanium hd is the best option. if you want to get great sound that is.

here is why> eli5 version:
DAC is the thing that converts zeroes and ones into a sine wave. this sine wave makes the sound - because, if you wave something fast enough, it will produce some kind of noise.
AMP just makes the wave stronger, so when it comes to the speaker/headphone, it may be heard.

thus, you need a good dac, so the sound comes as clean and clear as possible. bad dac may distort the sound, so it sounds like it is playing from under a pot.
and you need good amp to power up some headphones and preferably not to distort the sound any further.

so... let's say quality components cost money and time to make. on-board sound comes around a total of $5-10 from the cost of the board, while a dedicated sound card starts at $30 (for asus dg or dgx) to around $100 for those sound blasters. there is no way in nine hells a onboard sound with its cheap components can outperform a dedicated device solely designed to play sound.... not to mention gaming soundcards have nifty gimmicks like environmental audio...

E-AlRomaithi

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014

Thanks for replying!

based on what I've read, the on-board sound on my mobo cost around 70$ from the board price, however I have read that its amp is crap!

amps and DACs should be bought separately ? Does high quality sound cards have integrated amps and DACs ? + can you please suggest some high quality sound cards that were known for there performance for gaming + watching movies (Sorry for my noob questions)

Thanks again!

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
depends on your choices and preferences... there are many devices like schiit modi, or nwavguys odac that are only dac which need amplification (or active speakers) and there are many that already have amp bounded to the package odac+o2 combo for example.

yes sound card needs to have both of them - dac to transform 01010101 to sine and amp so you can hear it.
for gaming - the best match would be sound blaster z, for games and movies sound blaster titanium hd (sometimes it can have problems with some games from time to time, but it's the better choice)

Solution

E-AlRomaithi

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014

Lets say I am going for sound blaster titanium hd ( I am assuming Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Internal Sound Card), what kind of amp and dac should i hook up with this sound card ? + is the headset that i have mentioned is a good one for gaming and watching movies ?

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
you don't need to - the card already uses a great dac and the op amps are not shabby either.

as for sennheiser - i usually recommend pc360 and gamezero as the only headsets worth getting. so yes, it is good.

DFWallace

Estimable
Jul 11, 2014
Son and I have a gaming/music listening, high-end PC... M-Audio AV40 (2.0) speakers when wife not home, and Sennheiser PC360 headset when she is. We have a relatively high-end Asus Xonar Essence ST internal sound card as well. An external DAC will be better than the setup we have. I'll be getting a DAC soon...