Sennheiser GAME ZERO - My Razer Kraken Pros have more Bass and fuller sound

SuperJ9587

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Onboard Sound of my Sabertooth X58: Realtek® ALC 892 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC

Driver updated: 6/18/2015
Driver Version: 6.0.1.7541

I have an issue, and I don't want to get blasted by perceived "audiophiles" and other people who are experts in sound who will tell me my $79 Razer Kraken Pros are not "high quality" or don't give the "best sound". To me, my Kraken Pros have a fuller, louder bass and overall sound. I can actually feel the punch of the bass through them through my regular sound card; it vibrates the headphones. When people talk on VOIP, I hear the wide spectrum of their voices and it feels like they are there.

With the Sennheisers, I get no bass, music and sounds feel low and under-powered, and things sound tinny, compressed and not full, including VOIP and Netflix & Twitch. I have double checked and made sure that I bought the updated 50 Ohm versions here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNPYAEY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

So I don't believe I need an amp. Why would my Krakens sound just great to me and have a full bass, and I cant even get close to having the bass vibrate my headphones on these Sennheisers? Maxing the EQ or using Razer Surround only gives perceived bass which just muddies the audio, it doesn't have clarity and boom through the actual speaker in the headphone on the Sennheiser. On the Krakens you can actually feel the air of the bass hit you and vibrate the headset, and feel it fully.

I need to understand how to fix this issue, and if the answer is an amp explain to me why the Krakens sound seems amped without one while these need one? Like I said, I confirmed that the Sennhiesers I bought are 50 ohm.

Thanks.

its completely true that gaming headsets like the kraken pro are not considered high quality - however that does not mean that you do not prefer them more. it sounds like you bought the game zero before doing much research into the sound signature and what they offer really does not fit your needs.

the game zero is basically a rebranded pc350se / pc363d. they are all based on the old hd595 design if i recall correctly.

none of them in that lineup are known for good levels of bass and you should expect fairy anemic bass levels. you should expect a bit more of a treble and mids based sound signature.

a bit off topic but i would like to mention that quantity of bass and quality are two different things. a headphone can vibrate your whole head yet its bass might be bloated and boomy instead of controlled and accurate. some people care more about quantity while others prefer more about quality.

the game one (based on the hd598) would have offered up a bit more bass, although still within the realm of neutral. if you wanted more bass you might have wanted to pursue the dt770pro or dt990pro and pair a modmic with them. of course you would need a decent amplifier to power them.

some soundcards and onboard can handle 50ohm headphones fine while others can not. you might be getting somewhat anemic performance due to that although in general i would not expect great bass out of the zero's even with a good card powering them. sometimes things sound more tinny with anemic bass due to having an insufficient amplifier. while true a 50ohm impedance pair of headphones (note: i've left out sensitivity which also matters quite alot for how easy headphones are to power) isnt much, its also true that not all soundcards, onboard and portables can handle it well.

fixes?

try a soundcard. the xonar dg is cheap and has a more than strong enough amp.

or, you might want to think about getting a more bassy pair of headphones and using a separate microphone since it seems like bass quantity is what you're after. or perhaps just stick with cheap gaming headsets as many of those like the kraken have bloated bass levels (gaming headsets often are like this since it makes games sound more intense but is less accurate).

SuperJ9587

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
you might want to think about getting a more bassy pair of headphones and using a separate microphone since it seems like bass quantity is what you're after. or perhaps just stick with cheap gaming headsets as many of those like the kraken have bloated bass levels (gaming headsets often are like this since it makes games sound more intense but is less accurate).

I find that the bass is accurate on the Kraken Pros as I have produced a few tracks of my own using software on my PC, and in the past using the same soundcard have produced music using my Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones, which have since been worn out (because they sounded so good on my PC). Putting the CD in my car or other amped things has resulted in the same sound that I was hearing on my PC through my Kraken Pros, but obviously louder and with correct volume adjustment so that no sound is overpowered and each has their own respective area to shine.

My point being; you talk about accuracy, but does accuracy not include volume? Sure I can still hear the bass on these Senhisers but I cant feel it. When you go to the club, the accuracy of the bass is there, but also the volume. Im just not understanding why im not getting volume or punch at all. Do you actually think a soundcard will do anything?

At this point im talking about POWER I guess rather than just bass. I feel that the headphones make everything sound tinny and compressed as though someone has turned a filter knob to eliminate lower freqs or at least make them lose their "air-yness" or actual feeling of the sound hitting your eardrums, like the air from the bass.

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
But I for one, welcome our Bass-o-phile friends.
It has a 40mm driver so head shaking bass isn't it's forte. You can't really "fix" it. It doesn't have enough mass or travel to create the bass you want.

Sadly, the only Sennheisers that give that feeling are the HD800's with their 56mm driver. Not that I would recommend you getting them.

The game zero is a re-purposed HD380 which I've heard before but it sounded rather muffled and strange to me and my friend so we didn't like it much. I'm not sure how it gets those good ratings.

actually no i described "quantity" and "quality" as two separate entities since they are separate and not linked. i will say however that in many cases headphones with substantial bass levels tend towards "bloated" bass. also worth noting is that some headphones just do not have low frequency bass response and are only capable of mid-bass and above. of course there is no right answer as to which route is better - its all up to your own preferences. my own are to have just slightly greater bass than average which ends up being slightly bloated though not overmuch so.

if i did not think that a soundcard had a chance of fixing the issue i would not have suggested it. i can not promise that it will be an absolute fix however it does have a chance to warm them up a bit. given your focus on bass and power i'm thinking that even if a soundcard helped they still may sound anemic to you. low volume levels, anemic bass and tinny sound are common symptoms of an amplifier that is too weak.

i'm thinking you may be better off with something more substantial on the low end, although its your choice as to where you proceed. i laid out some options.

SuperJ9587

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
What headsets do you suggest that will give me the same perceived feeling I get on my Kraken Pros but with a much better mic like that of the Sehineser (flip up mute and great quality mic)?

@shotgunz

what about the hd429 which has strong bass yet i believe it only has a 40mm driver. with the bass mod i've read its really quite something.

in general i'd say you nailed it on the head though. while the bass levels can be good - senns arent for bassheads generally.

SuperJ9587

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

I've appriciated your input, sorry to come off as annoyed or agressive, just spent $200 on something I thought was my taste. I did review the product from an in-depth unboxing here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JBbGLDRVVw

The dude said they were really bassy and shaking his head at one point in the video, but he had the older 150 OHM versions with an amp. I have the 50 Ohm ones now. I'm just confused at this point and I don't know how to fix this issue if the soudcard is right or the amp or what. Things should just work for a PC gaming headset and not need complex setups, its for streaming and stuff...

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

It's true that driver size doesn't always equal the amount of bass. The driver and enclosure can be tuned to produce more or less bass but there's going to be a physical limit to how much air a 40mm driver move inside the earcups like how bigger subwoofers can generally play louder bass.

@Super HD380's technically are, between warm and bassy headphones though. The bass is louder than the mids and highs.
ccf86aad01b0125d427f46b4a086fc17.png

Barnacles sometimes turns headphones way up when he reviews them, so that's why they are vibrating. He's testing their limits or just being silly.

"really bassy" is also extremely subjective. if a person is normally used to and likes a very neutral or bass-light sound they will think even moderately bassy headphones are extreme.

i would suggest multiple sources of information to try and figure out how the headphones / headset will sound as one review really is not enough to base a decision on. remember, your'e going on their own opinion and that may very well vary from yours. also keep in mind the equipment they run on affects the output as well.

@shotgunz - agreed

shotgunz

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

If you can still return those game zeroes, I'd advise you to do so. I'll search around more tomorrow but I'm currently not aware of a headset with those qualities. Also, equalizers are not created equal. some sound better than others but I'll inform you tomorrow.

SuperJ9587

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

I'm not quite sure how to do that, is there a guide/tutorial? Is it alot of work? What two would you recommend together?

(this is where googling modmic would answer your own question better than we could. remember you should be doing a bit of research on anything we mention instead of just relying on us for information)

the modmic base attaches via a sticky pad to headphones. the modmic boom itself attaches (and is removable) to the base via a magnet. it has a boom which is movable and the angle is adjustable. cable sleeving is commonly found on the internet and can be slid over both cables to merge them into one (headphone and modmic). the ends can be shrink tubed. the only negative is that the modmic is no longer removable completely (if you had separate cables you could take it off and just have headphones any time you wanted).

SuperJ9587

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Finally got a refund on my headphones so im in the clear...very happy I was able to return them. Hopefully I can put some suggestions up for review in this thread and work out a custom solution :)