Sennheiser PC 363D and SoundBlaster Z - Connection Question

tonis

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm getting ready to order the SoundBlaster Z but before doing so, I wanted to verify something. I read that in order to take advantage of the on-board amp on the SoundBlaster Z, you have to plug the headphones directly into the sound card headphone jack? The Sennheiser 363D comes with a 7:1 USB Sound card, which would result in a USB connection end for the headphones? If so, then you could not plug it directly into the sound card in order to take advantage of the amp? Or am I not seeing this correctly? Thank you for your help.

Solution
you answered your own question.

if you want to use the z, you cannot use the soundcard which came with the 363d you would need to connect to the z soundcard itself via an analog connection and have it disconnected from the original usb soundcard. not sure if the 363d uses 3.5mm or 6.3mm jacks (1/8 or 1/4 inch plugs). so you might need adapter cables (which would be better than a straight adapter) if it uses the larger style.
you answered your own question.

if you want to use the z, you cannot use the soundcard which came with the 363d you would need to connect to the z soundcard itself via an analog connection and have it disconnected from the original usb soundcard. not sure if the 363d uses 3.5mm or 6.3mm jacks (1/8 or 1/4 inch plugs). so you might need adapter cables (which would be better than a straight adapter) if it uses the larger style.

Solution