Server license confusion help please

curlyroger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
Hello, I am a Linux and desktop guy with absolutely zero understanding of Windows Server licensing no matter what I am trying to read here.

A business I am helping has need for a server with seemingly simple requirements. There won't be any active directory or weird stuff -- just computers in a workgroup accessing a drive with some users remote desktoping in.

Site 1 will host the server. A software app and its data be on the server. There will be six computers at site 1, each with a drive mapped from the server. Each computer will have a local instance of the software that accesses the shared mapped drive data. None of these computers will need user access to the server. This all seems simple.

Site 2 will have 4 computers. Each computer will remote desktop to the site 1 server to run an instance of the software app.

What "flavor" of server software is needed? I'm guessing 5 CALs is what I need, but I still need remote desktop licenses too...?

Windows Remote Desktop Services(RDS) licensing — Windows Remote Desktop Services (formerly known as Windows Terminal Services) is built into Windows Server 2003 and 2008, but you will still need to get a separate Windows RDS User CAL for each client that will access Terminal Services in your organization. The RDS CAL replaces the older Terminal Services (TS) CAL.
I just don't know what to get. Two kinds of licenses? One kind that I install in terminal services? Which version of server? Any input would be appreciated.

Ijack

Distinguished
You have 10 computers accessing resources on the server and 4 using Remote Desktop Services. So I believe that you need 10 ordinary CALs and 4 RDS CALs. Depending upon the version of server that you buy it may come with 5 ordinary CALs. Don't forget that, if the software app is commercial software, you will also need licences for that for each user.

But if you want a definitive answer, talk to an authorized Microsoft reseller.

curlyroger

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Thanks for the input... this is what additional research confirmed as well. I'm glad that your thoughts matched other indicatos.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rcromwell92 Apps General Discussion 1
markc1999 Apps General Discussion 0
kikani.kautik Apps General Discussion 5
P Apps General Discussion 1
S Apps General Discussion 4
R Apps General Discussion 1
D Apps General Discussion 2
L Apps General Discussion 1
suryalord Apps General Discussion 1
P Apps General Discussion 1
R Apps General Discussion 1