Set up for a Smart TV, USB Drive & Media Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukesie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
Firstly, I hope i'm posting this in the correct forum section, if not please let me know and i'll change it as soon as.

I have been researching all over to try and work out if this is possible. I currently have two WD HDD's connected to my Sony Smart TV. Using Sony's built in media player I can watch all the content of the drives, which is fine, however the decoders available do not include ones for HEVC 265 encoded files, as you might expect.

I know that media streamer boxes like this one have the capability to decode 265 files but does that include content from USB mounted HDD?

On a side note, can these boxes be accessed via the built in wireless too once they've been setup on the network or do they always have to be connected to the TV and merely use their wireless to connect to the network?

If you have any questions please ask, I hope i've been clear with my question. Thank you.

Solution
If that codec is supported it should be fine with the USB drives. The box does need to be connected to the TV. That way you are using the video engine in it rather than the TV. The wifi is for streaming and to transfer files onto the connected drives.
Status
Not open for further replies.