Shareholders Ask Why Amazon Sells Violent Games, But Not Guns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Bank robber: Give me all your cash now, or Ill play BF3. Couldn't resist.
Did Amazon respond back to the share holders, with a big DUH.
I own guns. Seriously if the shareholders can't see why an online retailer doesn't want to assume this risk the shareholders are freaking brain dead.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Violent video games are very dangerous and must be banned. People may try to eat the box and instructions. When putting one's finger inside the CD hole, it may get stuck.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Turns out you can kill someone with a baseball bat and some nails, or a nice pointy fork. The issue is, why would you? This is all about being responsible. If we didn't let all our known psychopaths roam free (we don't lock up crazies anymore until they actually go on a rampage), that would help. If we make sure our kids aren't completely desensitized to violence (overexposed to violence too young AND in the wrong context), and raised them to value human life, that would help. Teach them to fear and respect weapons, and use them only for self-defense (and possibly hunting when they're old enough - I don't hunt). They're not toys, even though they're sometimes depicted almost like that. Things like that would have a greater impact than simply "ban the evil guns that shoot people by themselves".
You'll notice when mass murderers go on a shooting spree, most of them do it in places where guns aren't allowed by law-abiding citizens (nobody can defend themselves). They never talk about that! They didn't mention the theaters in Colorado he drove past, to go to a specific one that prohibited carrying of firearms. You'll also notice that they don't plan on escaping... no exit strategy other than death or capture. Does that sound like a sane, law-abiding person to you? No, but yet some are hell bent on punishing everyone for the crimes of a few nutcases with a death wish and a heart filled with hate.

Draconian

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I wonder how many of these pro-gun, anti video-game people realize that the U.S. government produces the violent video game America's Army. And 3D simulations are commonly used to train troops.
Should we outlaw flight simulators because you could fly a plane into a building in the game?

josbur63

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007
Why not just shut down the internet.I can assure you that is where kids today are getting their fix of the most disturbing things you can possibly find.Video games are make believe,if you are unable to differentiate between the two,you are already lost.It just takes a few clicks of the mouse to see real beheadings,get plans to make a bomb,or see the most gruesome things imaginable.Kids don't have to buy games,they can download them for free on the internet.

lunix

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
These comments make me extremely sad. I am sure my post will be down voted but so be it.
People are so naive its sad and uniformed its sad. The guy brought up a extremely good point. Why is it ok to sell violent video games and movies? Are people really so naive they think these sick psycho paths we see in the news just wake up one morning and decide to commit these acts of violence out of the blue? There idea's have to come from some where. I am positive it didn't come from gun magazines, firearms, gun stores, or anything firearm related other then Tv, Movies, and video games. Here is a nice little fact to look up the the DOJ has reported gun crimes have fallen dramatically over the past 20 years. I don't see news stations reporting that thought.
Let me see now. so gun crimes are caused by violent video games. In the last 20 years, gun crime has dropped. So there must be fewer violent video games now than 20 years ago... Oh wait...

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
@brettms71 I guess I was not very clear with what I meant with my post. People are extremely quick to blame guns for violence. I am well aware that War and Murder have existed long before video's, games, tv, and the like. They have also existed long before Guns where ever invented. People are quick to blame firearms because certain groups have demonized them. There objects nothing more nothing less just like Movies and video games. Why they are treated different is just ridiculous. I can understand there dangerous anyone with a shred of common since knows there dangerous. When not handled carefully but so are cars, I don't here people calling for the banning of all automobiles. I think what the shareholders where trying to say was why classify one thing as a weapon and not another. Criminals have been known to use Baseball bats, crowbars, knives, etc. Amazon sales all these items and offers prime shipping on some of them so you can get them faster.

nic4242

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Well, *someone* has a hard time distinguishing between reality and make-believe. Personally, I don't think giving these *someone* access to guns is a good idea.

Tweedledum

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
@Hotroderx You quite this statistic as an argument against computer games:
"Here is a nice little fact to look up the the DOJ has reported gun crimes have fallen dramatically over the past 20 years. I don't see news stations reporting that thought."
But I bet computer game sales haven't fallen in the last 20 years. I suspect that they have in fact increased! So perhaps providing people with a harmless outlet for their violent tendencies is a good idea and providing them with the means to practice their them on people is a bad one?

orca_sweets

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I don't see the problem here. Is Amazon sending out alert emails that forces its customers to buy controversial content from its site?

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Yep, unless you fashion some kind of shank out of this highly dangerous "violent media," I don't see how you can compare the two.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I see all these comments supporting Amazon and bashing the logic behind the argument. It is a valid argument. They are speaking of selling gun parts, which should be fine. As it turns out, violent games do alter SOME peoples thinking. Heck, that crazy dude said he used MW to train himself, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS