Solved! Sharp Aquos Vizio soundbar and Onkyo reciever

Jul 21, 2018
I have an Onkyo tx-nr757 reciever that I have the Xfinity cable box, ps4, Chromecast, a raspberry pi, and a fire TV all connected to (all using HDMI). That outputs to a Vizio soundbar which then connects to HDMI 1 port on the TV. I know that the soundbar is not ment to do this but the wife doesn't want any passive speakers around the room. I'm trying to figure out how to have the recover control the volume of the soundbar. Since the output from the receiver is going to the HDMI input on the soundbar and then the HDMI output from the soundbar is going to the TV, I can't get the receiver volume to change the volume on the soundbar.

Solutions to this problem I can work through. But I can't get passive speakers and have to use the equipment that I have now.
All help is appreciated.

Solution
The only way you could get the receiver remote to adjust the volume is to use a speaker to line level converter connected to the front speaker outputs. That will give you a variable line level output you can connect to the aux input of the soundbar.
It seems like you are only using the receiver as an HDMI input selector. It would be much simpler to use an HDMI input selector if the TV doesn't have enough inputs and connect the soundbar to the TV with HDMI-ARC and turn on CEC. Then you would only have to use the TV remote.
Another options is to get a Logitech Harmony remote that could be programmed to operate the entire system.
The only way you could get the receiver remote to adjust the volume is to use a speaker to line level converter connected to the front speaker outputs. That will give you a variable line level output you can connect to the aux input of the soundbar.
It seems like you are only using the receiver as an HDMI input selector. It would be much simpler to use an HDMI input selector if the TV doesn't have enough inputs and connect the soundbar to the TV with HDMI-ARC and turn on CEC. Then you would only have to use the TV remote.
Another options is to get a Logitech Harmony remote that could be programmed to operate the entire system.

Solution
Jul 21, 2018
You are absolutely right. I have a Harmony remote that had all the scenes set. My problem is that I want to use my voice to control everything. With the fire cube remote and just the Alexa I can tell my entertainment system to do stuff. Same thing with the X1 cable system. I think I still need to get an HDMI switch to handle the inputs; however, do you know of any good ones that can be controlled via IR or Bluetooth to switch the inputs?