Sharp Reveals 3D LCD with 4 Primary Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
it would be interesting to see how much a difference that 4th color (yellow) makes. I wonder if its a marketing scam and they just add a red and a green and call it yellow.

G

Still waiting for them to concentrate on true holographic projection technology so we can do away with the need for physical screens.

- I can just see one of the first uses for Holographic Technolgy once it becomes practical.

Replace stop signs with holographic projectors which project a large (physical seeming) brick wall across the lane the car/s in with a large stop sign on it and the wall would only disappear once the car comes to a complete stop.

Now that would be a way to stop people from running stop signs. :D

G

I completely dont understand why 4 colors are better then 3.We only see 3 colors so why 4?

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
this 4 colour system is supposed to improve yellows like golden and bright yellows, due to the filters in LCD technology their is a massive dip in the yellow area of the colour spectrum

i would imagine that screens such as oleds wouldn't have this problem with the colours being lit directly at a per pixel level without any transmissive layers in between

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]jjjlllklkjljjk[/nom]I completely dont understand why 4 colors are better then 3.We only see 3 colors so why 4?[/citation]
No, we see 32 million colours (around), not three. Adding a seperate yellow channel will ensure yellows get displayed properly.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Mauller07[/nom]this 4 colour system is supposed to improve yellows like golden and bright yellows, due to the filters in LCD technology their is a massive dip in the yellow area of the colour spectrumi would imagine that screens such as oleds wouldn't have this problem with the colours being lit directly at a per pixel level without any transmissive layers in between[/citation]

dude if you only see 3 colors you really need to get your eyes checked :)

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]dude if you only see 3 colors you really need to get your eyes checked[/citation]

learn more about how colours in a display are produced before commenting you only make yourself look extremely stupid

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
omagash! my dog it's red! why didn't you told me b4!?!
Mom? have you seen my t-shirt?
M: which one? red, green, or blue?
Sammy.. I don't like this kinda girls for you son..
What kind dad?! what!? green!?

G

People we only see 3 colors phisiology of the eye http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_color. All other colors are mixtures of these 3.So actualy you dont see 32Milion colors or something. You see 3 colors. But your brain interpretates different intensyti of these 3 like some other color for example yellow. Simply for most people its hard to understant that they actualy see 3 colors but brain tells them that its actually more then 3.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I might be wrong on this not sure but wouldn't the picture have to be transmitted differently? What i am saying is wouldn't this require a special Connection or some other item to take advantage of the 4th color added or will it be processed in TV..... I would also think items such as a RGB cable wouldn't work or if they did they would give color with out the 4th yellow color.... guess i am just little skeptical on this seems gimmicky to me

lukeeu

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Question: Why won't they just turn every other (sub)pixel by 90deg? LCD shine polarized light so all they need to do is rotate half of the pixels by 90 deg and you could watch it with 10$ passive glasses + there would be no flickering and headaches from shutter glasses + you'd get higher resolution in 2D

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]dude if you only see 3 colors you really need to get your eyes checked[/citation]
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]No, we see 32 million colours (around), not three. Adding a seperate yellow channel will ensure yellows get displayed properly.[/citation]
There are only 3 color receptive cone types in the human eye... red, green and blue. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/colcon.html#c1

Status
Not open for further replies.