Solved! sherwood reciever to roku smart tv hookup

Nov 6, 2018
i have a Sherwood receiver with rca jacks only... i had to buy a new tv so i went with the tcl roku smart tv... it doesn't have female rca jacks for my stereo receiver... i bought a hdmi, toslink , and hdmi converter but cant get anything to work... any ideas or solutions are appreciated, thank you, steve

Solution
Connect the toslink optical digital audio output of the TV to an optical to analog converter.
Connect the RCA analog output of the converter to a line level input of the receiver (any input but phono).
Go into the TV menu and turn on the optical output. You may also have to turn the TV speakers off and change the output type to PCM stereo if the the converter won't accept a bitstream 5.1 input). Check the TV manual if needed.
Plan B would be to use an HDMI-ARC audio extractor but the optical is just as good.
Return the other converters if you can.
Connect the toslink optical digital audio output of the TV to an optical to analog converter.
Connect the RCA analog output of the converter to a line level input of the receiver (any input but phono).
Go into the TV menu and turn on the optical output. You may also have to turn the TV speakers off and change the output type to PCM stereo if the the converter won't accept a bitstream 5.1 input). Check the TV manual if needed.
Plan B would be to use an HDMI-ARC audio extractor but the optical is just as good.
Return the other converters if you can.

Solution
Nov 6, 2018
my son and a couple forum answers were to get a rca to 3.5 cable... plug em in and be done... I think I will try that first... ive done dropped 30 bux on cables and the wrong adapter... :/

Nov 6, 2018
im not too savvy on this new technology so bear with me... I bought the rca to 3.5 cable and plugged it up... only thing that happened was the tv speakers quit... if I buy the convertor mentioned below will it work with my Sherwood RX-5502 receiver to send sound from my roku smart tv to my stereo receiver... ??? - Insten Digital Optical Toslink to Analog with 3.5mm Audio Converter - ive already purchased 1 wrong convertor, 1 HDMI cable, and 1 optical cable... thanks, steve

The optical to analog converter will work if you turn it on in the TV menu and set it to PCM. You may need to turn the TV speakers off too.
If the TV has a headphone jack then that should work with the Sherwood. Make sure you have the correct input selected on the Sherwood and the TV volume may need to be turned up. If you turn it too high it will distort.

Nov 6, 2018
thanks... im gonna by it... throwin more freekin money at this... my older tv worked great... plug in the rca;s and crank it up... sometimes I hate progress... :/