Should i get bookshelf speakers or computer speakers for my room?

LudinK

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
Hi, so i would like to buy a 2.1 setup speakers for my bedroom for the sole use of listening to music and for white noise. I am drawn towards bookshelf speakers because of their better quality however i will be using them a lot, and overnight as well playing white noise like rain or what ever to drown out other noises that would wake me up, and i dont know if that will affect our electricity bill that much or not. I am not too good with the calculation of how much electricity the speakers will consume but i assume that the bookshelf speakers will use up much more.

Solution
This is a very curious post. After many many years of playing with these things I never worried about how much electricity it takes. In the back of my mind my stereo is the SMALL ticket item, I worry more about the BIG ticket items like the furnace, the AC, leaving the coffee pot on longer than they need, but stereo?

Coincidentally, I just replaced my fronts bookshelf's with 2 towers (major league now brothers!) and because I have a power center on the bottom of my stereo stack, is showing me my system is drawing 2.4 amps, the same as when I was using my bookshelf's, at normal listening levels. Well it's actually fructuating between 2.4 and 2.5 amps, so it's possible it's taking another 0.1 amp of the AC, you do the math if this is...

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
For speakers, you need to look at ohms more than wattage on speakers. Your receiver can be hooked to speakers with a higher ohm rating than itself, but never lower. So for example if your receiver is rated at 100W and 4 ohms, do not get speakers lower rated than 4 ohms.

LudinK

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

I agree that the promedia 2.1 are amazing and the problem is, my brother has those and i am so used to their quality that the other 2.1's dont seem that good unless they are really expensive. I will be buying a used setup however promedia 2.1's are rare to find. the promedias are what got me considering bookshelf speakers as they are the only ones i know that could match sound quality.

This is a very curious post. After many many years of playing with these things I never worried about how much electricity it takes. In the back of my mind my stereo is the SMALL ticket item, I worry more about the BIG ticket items like the furnace, the AC, leaving the coffee pot on longer than they need, but stereo?

Coincidentally, I just replaced my fronts bookshelf's with 2 towers (major league now brothers!) and because I have a power center on the bottom of my stereo stack, is showing me my system is drawing 2.4 amps, the same as when I was using my bookshelf's, at normal listening levels. Well it's actually fructuating between 2.4 and 2.5 amps, so it's possible it's taking another 0.1 amp of the AC, you do the math if this is something to obsess about, I won't.

Solution