Should I replace my DC Jack?

Oujiatem

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Hey, my DC Jack doesn't have that "circle thing" anymore, so it is kinda exposed. I wanna know if it is safe to use like that. I don't know how to replace, but I watched some videos on youtube and most laptops need to use some kind of sold, and I don't wanna pay a third party and the guy doesn't do his job properly. So I wanna know if I can use it

Any thoughts?

Picture of how it is right now
http://i.imgur.com/I6b8red.jpg

Thanks!

ffg7

Splendid
you can use it but eventually those 2 pins might stop making contact with the power adapter connector. that jack can be soldered to the motherboard itself, to a daughter card that attaches to the motherboard via a cable or attached to the motherboard by a cable as my sony viao was. to replace it you would have to disassemble the base of the laptop & maybe even take the motherboard if the jack is soldered to the motherboard.

Oujiatem

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

I'm just worried it might fry my board or something like that. Because the shipping for the jack will take more than 15 days and I can start saving money to pay someone else to replace it when needed. So is it safe to use as it is?

Thanks!

ffg7

Splendid
as long as you are carefull. can always tape the power adapter connector to the laptop til you get the replacement jack. remember that the whole laptop base will have to be disassembled to get at the motherboard unless the jack is attached by a cable or on a daughter card. mine was on a cable so just unsoldered the cable & soldered new jack in it's place.

Oujiatem

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/PKZDW7k.jpg
Looking at the pic, it seems like a sold to me.
Also, what do you mean by taping the power adatapter connector? Thanks again!

ffg7

Splendid
that is a thru hole connector as the pins go thru the motherboard compared to a surface mounted connector that is soldered to the surface of the motherboard. using tape to hold the connector to stay inside of the jack.