Should I sell my 1080p Sony to get this 4k Samsung?

Swolecat

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
I currently have this tv http://.

I am thinking about selling that one and getting this one, which is $450 right now. http://

If anyone has any advice or thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Unless you sit really really close you won't see any difference between 2k and 4k content.
The new TV may look worse than your old one because regular FHD will have to be upscaled and that is expensive to do well.
The 4K TV you link to doesn't have HDR which does make a very noticeable difference in contrast and color.
Upcoming tech includes dynamic HDR, DolbyVision, HDMI 2.1, and ATSC 3.0 4k HDR over the air broadcast tuners.
Waiting can be a good thing.
Do you actually have 4K TV service and content? If not why bother. Just wait until your current TV dies or there is actually a decent amount of content available. No reason to waste money on something which won't give you any benefit.

I suppose if you will also buy a 4K BluRay player and buy 4K titles it may have some value. The 4K streaming content available right now is worthless and the bit rate is way too low.

Swolecat

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
I have Directv, Netflix and Hulu. I was helping my aunt shop for a new tv yesterday, and the guy at BestBuy was saying he would definitely get a 4k if you use Netflix. I guess the confusing thing to me is that my current 1080p tv is selling for more than this new 4k tv!

Swolecat

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

Yeah, I have never even tried to sell a used tv before, so I had no idea. I just saw that it was selling new for $500+. It is in "like new" condition pretty much, but you're probably right.

USAFRet

Illustrious

I just sold a year old 55" Vizio in perfect condition. Took almost 2 months, and I managed to squeeze $250 out of it, delivery included.

Unless you sit really really close you won't see any difference between 2k and 4k content.
The new TV may look worse than your old one because regular FHD will have to be upscaled and that is expensive to do well.
The 4K TV you link to doesn't have HDR which does make a very noticeable difference in contrast and color.
Upcoming tech includes dynamic HDR, DolbyVision, HDMI 2.1, and ATSC 3.0 4k HDR over the air broadcast tuners.
Waiting can be a good thing.

Solution

Swolecat

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016

Thanks for that info. My aunt ended up getting that 4k samsung, so I will compare it to mine, but I will probably just keep what I have. Thanks to all of you guys for your help! :ouimaitre: