Should I update my Realtek HD Audio Manager driver to help use of my optical drive?

SanMan6

Estimable
Feb 12, 2017
My W7 Pro ASUS model A53SD notebook does not allow me to play or record anything from its optical drive. I can see the drive, eject the media that I put inside, but I cannot access the media, itself. Also, I can only open the drive through a program like windows media or Cyberlink PowerDVD 12, other than using a paperclip to push the release, the button on the outside of the drive won't activate. If I update the Realtek HD Audio Manager driver to it's latest version, will that provide a solution? Any comments or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Sounds like the drive just may not be working. Try going into "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager". In there click the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" section. Now highlight (single click) the drive you are trying to check and then right click to see a list of options. First try the "Scan for hardware changes" option. If that makes note of changes, follow the given instructions on what to do. If no changes are noted, again right click on it and then choose "Update driver software".
Sounds like the drive just may not be working. Try going into "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager". In there click the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" section. Now highlight (single click) the drive you are trying to check and then right click to see a list of options. First try the "Scan for hardware changes" option. If that makes note of changes, follow the given instructions on what to do. If no changes are noted, again right click on it and then choose "Update driver software".

Solution
Realtek HD Audio Manager has nothing to do with your CD/DVD drive. As @Webworkigs said - make sure the drivers are installed.

What do you see when you put a data CD/DVD (eg a game disk, or disk from a magazine)?
What do you see when you put an original music CD?
What do you see when you put an original movie DVD (store-bought, Netflix/Redbox)?