Should I wait for 14nm intel processors for my laptop I'll buy? And how is this laptop, please take a look at it.

orancanoren

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Hi all,
I will be buying an alienware 18 with the following specs:

GPU: Dual nVidia GeForce GTX 880m's in SLI
CPU: Intel Core i7 4910mq
RAM: 16 gb 1600 MHz DDR3L

These are the most important specs, I didn't think the rest of it will be required.

I heard that Intel has managed to produce 14 nm transistors and they will be selling processors using this technology. This technology also supports DDR4 ram and PCI-express 4.0. I also heard that nVidia is going to be releasing their new maxwell-based GPU's so I think I'll wait until next July to get that next gen processor and gpu and I think it will worth waiting(I will be saving until July so even if I don't decide to wait I will be buying it on january or february).

Here are the questions,
1-Do you think there will be a performance leap?
2-When do you think or do you know when these (processor and gpu) will be released?
3-Even if they don't come out, do you think the alienware with specs which I wrote above would be able to handle heavy power demanding applications (not games, I am sure it wont be performing lower than 50 fps on any game) like 3dmax or some rendering apps and other stuff very fast(I might use them, I will be going to college to study computer engineering and I would like to do some graphical design as some sort of hobby)

Thanks for reading so far, I am guessing there will be replies telling me not to buy a laptop for gaming. I think so and I also support gaming on desktop but I really need a portable system and there might be some replies about telling me not to get an alienware and get an ASUS instead, there are no other laptops with dual graphics and I wanted an alienware for years so I chose alienware. By the way I might be wrong about some info, I have just read some articles and I don't feel like I really know alot about these, that's why I am asking here because I don't have plenty knowledge about these systems and I don't have any experience.

Solution

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Every processor generation will show a performance improvement, in what area and to what degree always varies depending on whether it's a tick or a tock. Both Nvidia (Maxwell) and Intel's (Broadwell) next generation should be fairly substantial changes - Maxwell's claim to shame is going to be it's memory efficiency, Broadwell should continue Haswell's mission at battery efficient performance due to the die shrink - less energy needed to power and cool the processor. On the server side, it will open DDR4 support but we won't get it on the consumer side until it's refresh later next year.

As far as Alienware is concerned, they represent what most users expect from a mobile gaming rig - durable, powerful and highly customizable. For my money, I am a fan of OriginPC & Razer - Origin has a BUNCH of customization options and Razer has some unique features

orancanoren

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Thanks for the reply. So if I get the alienware with next gen processor, the motherboard should support ddr4 ram right? Anyways, predicting things won't get me anywhere, I'll just wait and see. What do you think about the current specifications? Do you think it can handle heavy applications?

game junky

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Nope, I would think that they would change the socket type or release a new chipset like they did with the z97 series.

I think that will handle load as well as any performance laptop - laptops with screens larger than 15" aren't as popular as they were when Alienware first started releasing gaming laptops. It's not to say that they don't exist because every manufacturer has them, they're just not as common. The new trend seems to be trying to thread the needle between performance and portability - I personally think it's more cost effective to get a laptop or tablet to work on the go and then build a performance desktop for home.

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
If you are going to keep your gaming laptop on a desk for its whole life time just get a Desktop. If not I'd recommend waiting just because when they release something new, the older versions drop in price. Also I wouldn't recommend alienware, if I'm not wrong and you're looking at the $3,000+ Models stay away please :p Build a desktop for $2000 and get a nice slim laptop for $1000 for school or work or even a nice Windows Surface.

orancanoren

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

I understand your suggestion about desktops, I have built lots of mini-itx cases online and I figured I could get more performance than alienware laptop with half the price. I know about desktops' performance when compared to laptops. But sadly the thing is I need portability. You are right about the price too it will cost me about $3700. I don't have an option to buy a desktop pc, if I buy a desktop the desktop would be staying at home and I will be going college with a much less powered laptop and I won't be able to play my games on it. I will be traveling from school-home in a monthly period and even if I setup the desktop at college I can't trust people there. I might loose my $800-1000 graphics cards or other components and I will be traveling in holidays too. I'm trying to say that desktop is really not an option and I know the huge advanteges of desktop systems.

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Sucks man :/ Don't you have dorms? like you have your own keys and such? Also don't you think $3700 Laptop with 880m SLI is overkill? maybe spend $1500 on a laptop xD

Solution

orancanoren

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Its overkill but I want to use this laptop for 3-4 years with all settings ultra then 2-3 years more with medium-high mixed. And I am in one of the best technical universities in my country but we are staying 3 roomates in a room and people can come in our room. That's why I can't have a desktop in dormitory. But I think I'll wait for the new socket type and new rams because as I said I'll be using this laptop for a long while. You said you would spend $1.5k for a laptop and you're right but think this laptop as 2 $1.5k laptops so I won't be replacing the $1.5k laptop. I will probably change the 880m(or new 880mx) with a pci express 4.0 card when they come out and I'd be graduated until then.

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Maybe just get an Ultrabook and spend the rest on a psu and gpu... get like a 780ti if you want... Run an external GPU config. lol search it up

G

I have another suggestion if you don't mind: You can buy a 1500$ laptop that will last like 2 or 3 years on Ultra, and then buy another 1500$ laptop in 3 years (and do whatever you want with the old 1500$ one) and it'll last another 2 or 3 years on Ultra (you end up with 2 laptops and 4-6 years at ultra). What I mean is that probably a 1500$ laptop in a few years will be more powerful than a 3000$ laptop bought today but I may be wrong though. Good luck in your decision and your college :)

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1191969-external-gpu-for-laptops-supercharge-your-graphics/

Here check it out it