brafique

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Hey there, I have a really strange TV problem...I had a regular old SDTV hooked up to basic cable, and thus used to get a bunch of the local channels in my area on the TV. Then, I changed the TV to a bigger TV, but now on the same basic cable I don't get one of the channels - the one I used to watch the most. I tried the "tracking" feature to find the channel, but it didn't work. Not only is that one channel totally missing, but all the other channels are now on different channel numbers then they were on the old tv. Is there any way to get that missing channel to show up again? I'm really surprised that a channel can appear on one TV but not on another like this!

Thanks for your help guys!

Did you change the input connections to your TV? For instance, on your old TV, I'm guessing you used a basic COAX cable from your cable box to your TV. If that's so, then are you still using that cable to connect to your new TV or did you change to something else (like component or HDMI connections)?

-Wolf sends

brafique

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
^ On both TVs, the cable was coming from the basic cable wire hooked directly into the TV. No digital cable box or anything else.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that your old TV has an NTSC (analog) tuner and your new TV has an ATSC (digital) Tuner. Of the basic cable channels you subscribe to, the one you're missing (and usually watch) only has an analog channel, while all the others had both analog and digital.

Maybe check with your cable company to confirm or ask what happened to that missing channel.

-Wolf scratches his head.

Since the stations you get are not on the same channels as before it may be that your TV is picking up the clear QAM digital channels that your provider has on the cable and not the analog channels you had before. When you set up your TV you probably chose cable in antenna. Try air and then rescan.
You may be able to get both the digital HDTV signals and the analog if you can switch analog/digital. Check the TV remote and manual.