Discussion Slave SSD

jackj59

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
My laptop's MB appears to have been fried (I posted a separated question on that), so I pulled the SSD out to slave it with an adapter and pull the data off of it. I've tried two different adapters - each on 2-3 different computers - and they recognize the adapter, but it won't open in File Explorer; in Device Manager, it appears unformatted or blank (no partitions or any info given on the SSD itself, only the brand of the adapter).

Could I have fried both the motherboard and the SSD, simply by touching the tiny wire pin that holds the battery in to a couple of MB solder points?! Any other suggestion for pulling the data off of the SSD?

jackj59

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

jackj59

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks, much! But should it matter, USB vs PCIE? If the SSD is fried, why would a PCIE adapter help anymore than a USB adapter?
Though googling pcie found a good thread discussing options. Although it was for a different "format" of SSD (M, mine is M+B), which was unable to use USB (mine is). I don't understand all of the SSD types (m.2, m+b, etc), but I'm not sure if this will solve my problem, but willing to try: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-advanced-solution-Controller-Expansion/dp/B07JKH5VTL