SLOW/INTERRUPTION files' TRANSFER from EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE to LAPTOP

jo.tannous

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

PROBLEM:
- I am trying to transfer my files from my external hard drive (WD, my passport, Ultra) to my laptop.
- The transfer takes forever.
- I can transfer some files, but only a folder or a file at a time but then with some files/folders the transfer stops and it goes suddenly to 0 bytes/second". If I wait the transfer continues in a normal speed but then it stops and goes to 0 b/s.
- In addition, Sometimes it stops the transfer and gives me the message: "can't read from the source file or disk" and show me three actions: "try again", "skip" "cancel"

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
- I tried another cable and tried another port but still the same.
- I tried using the same external hard drive on another laptop, and still the same problem.
- I have tried another hard drive on my laptop and it works fine
- I have tried to scan my hard drive with my antivirus, it takes forever. 12 hours to complete 9% scan.

ANY SOLUTION PLEASE? I need these files desperately.
and if there is no solution, does it mean that I lost the files forever?
Thank you

Solution
It seems like your external HDD is dying man. Not much you can do about it except than transferring as much data as you can before that drive gives up on you for good.

You could also ask an expert to restore your data. There are specialized people for this kind off job and I don't remember how they are called. All I know is that their services are super expensive and that you might have a hard time finding one locally. Anyway, just Google it and you'll understand.

kasiourasg

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
It seems like your external HDD is dying man. Not much you can do about it except than transferring as much data as you can before that drive gives up on you for good.

You could also ask an expert to restore your data. There are specialized people for this kind off job and I don't remember how they are called. All I know is that their services are super expensive and that you might have a hard time finding one locally. Anyway, just Google it and you'll understand.

Solution

mdd1963

Distinguished
If the drive has a light crash, it's lifetime is usually limited afterwards; best to prioritize saving data by it's order of importantce, vice trying to copy everything. Waste no time with things stored elsewhere, unimportant data, etc...

Lengthy disc checks can accelerate eventual total failure, if a soft physical crash has compromised the drive...

back up what is critical now while you still can.