SMACKING my laptop display fixes it??

A Light Tap

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
So, a few days back I go to turn on my laptop and the display is remained black. I tried [many] hard resets, connecting to an external monitor, and re-seating the memory. "Must be my graphics card nooooo" I think. Later that night I give it one last attempt before I take the dive and buy another laptop. I smacked it around in minor frustration, hoping maybe it might do something. And, by some miracle, it worked! It went back on!

Since then, I've done the smacking routine twice and it's worked both times. The latest time the screen was not completely black but rather had thin lines as well (black screen, with 10ish thing white lines).

I don't trust this will work forever, how can I fix this? Can I test anything while screen is still working?

Thank you.

Laptop info:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4720HQ @ 2.60GHz 48 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
Notebook N150SD/N155SD (SOCKET 0) 50 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer) 32 °C
ForceWare version: 382.05
SLI Disabled
Storage
931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 37 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208GB
ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edit: Worth noting, I've have the BSOD - ETD.sys driver_irql_not_less_or_equal for the past few years every 3 months or so. I was reboooting from one of these when it first happened.

Solution
Oh I thought the external monitor worked from the way that was worded. That's a bit more interesting now. Not likely to be the ribbon. I'd open it up and just look around the GPU area and see if anything looks loose/amiss

Supahos

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
I'd say the ribbon that connects the monitor is probably either loosely connected on one end or the other, or is partially torn. If under warranty get it worked on if not eventually it'll tear too much and cease to work ever again or just completely unplug. Could be something else but those are the most likely two choices.

A Light Tap

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

If the ribbon is loose, wouldn't it still work on an external monitor though?

If that's not the case, it is not under warranty unfortunately (just over 2 years old). Is this a fix that I could do by replacing the ribbon connector?

Supahos

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Oh I thought the external monitor worked from the way that was worded. That's a bit more interesting now. Not likely to be the ribbon. I'd open it up and just look around the GPU area and see if anything looks loose/amiss

Solution