Software to help manage Workstation abuse.

Uncrowned

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Hello,

I am currently setting up a new workstation for my local fire department. The current station is old and has a lot of random programs downloaded on it from members doing stuff that really shouldn't be done on a companies computer. The computer does have a password, but the members who need access to it are the biggest violators of abusing and misusing the computer. I was asked if I could install an application (or even hardware if it exists) to basically only allow company certified applications (doing incident reports) and minor web browsing (in fact if it could be fire/ems related only that would be great). I told them that I have very little experience with firewalls and security programs, but the job was still given to me.

I do know of K9 Web Protection, but that does not seem to limit downloading stuff you can access and stuff like that. Other then that, I don't really even know the official name of the category these types of programs would be called, so a minor search might be all I need, but I have such a small idea of what to do I'm stuck.

EDIT: The system will be Windows 7 Pro

Thanks.

mi1ez

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
a decent router will be more effective than software (I believe). Whitelist or blacklist websites as needed.

Can you set up a locked down user for them and an admin account nobody there knows?

Uncrowned

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Yes, I can do an Admin account alongside the account everyone would use. I know our ISP does support a White/Black list, but it is a hassle the way they have it setup and changing the modem and networking stuff wasn't approved for what we can spend money on, so I'd prefer to avoid that way if I can.

EDIT: The OS will be Windows 7 Pro