Solved! Some keys not working on laptop

Nov 9, 2018
I have an HP Stream 11 running on Windows 10. I have never seen such a strange problem, and it renders this laptop totally useless:

Some keys will not work for Shift functions. While holding the right Shift key, the following keys will not work: 1,2,3,4, as well as 7,8,9,0. (In other words, I can't get !,@,#,$, &,*,(, or ) at all by using the right shift key). I also cannot get the right shift key to make a capitol Q,W,E,R or U,I,O,P. The left shift key has all of the same issues, plus it also cannot make capitol letters for Z,X,C,V or M, the comma key, the period key, and forward slash key (for these keys, the right shift key DOES work).

All of the keys work for lower case letters.

Sticky keys are disabled. However, when I turn sticky keys on, both shift keys work -- for all keys. So this leads me to believe the problem is OS-related...?

I have tried going to HP Support and downloading every single driver (newest versions) for windows 10 for my particular laptop. Problem still exists, and it doesn't matter where I'm typing (Word, Internet browser, command prompt).

Solution
Just getting the driver and installing it isn't the way to fix a driver issue with the keyboard. Try the steps below (and the other options if necessary) to see if this will resolve it.

NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then try the following... just make sure you disconnect the external keyboard while the system is reloading.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does...
Just getting the driver and installing it isn't the way to fix a driver issue with the keyboard. Try the steps below (and the other options if necessary) to see if this will resolve it.

NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then try the following... just make sure you disconnect the external keyboard while the system is reloading.

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting/reconnecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

Additionally, if your device uses one, you may want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

You may also want to check the device for malware, viruses, etc., which can interfere with normal operation.

Solution
Nov 9, 2018

Thank you.

I'd forgotten to mention:
- I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver.
- One of the drivers I updated was for the touchpad (so I think that covers your Synaptics Driver suggestion).
- When I plug in an external keyboard, all keys on that keyboard work fine.

So does that mean it's a hardware failure? (If so, why does Sticky keys work, then?)

The only thing I haven't tried is running it for malware/spyware/viruses, but it's a fresh install... Plus you said that if an external keyboard works fine, then it's probably bad keys.