Some keys occasionaly stop working on my 3 year old Acer Aspire V3-571G.

Reena912

Commendable
Feb 11, 2016
The number keys on top of my keyboard occasionaly stop working. It's always the same 3 keys (6, 8 and 9). As the exclamation mark is on the same key as number 8, this is very annoying... My laptop is 3 years old, so there is no warranty anymore. Is there anything I can do about it that won't cost me too much money?

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue but if all these will not work it's more likely the keyboard itself that has failed.

- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver.
- Reboot your laptop once done and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
- After the reboot do test your keyboard again.
- If these doesn't work do connect an external USB keyboard and see if it would work or not.
- If the external keyboard works just fine you can try reinstalling Windows.
- And if reinstalling Windows will not work that's the time you can replace the keyboard itself.

Reena912

Commendable
Feb 11, 2016
Thank you for your reply! :)
Yesterday, I noticed that the buttons work again after I press them really hard. Do you still think there might be a software problem, or is it more likely that the keyboard itself is failing?

I haven't tried any of the options you have given me yet. I haven't had the time.