Solved! Someone Hacked my Computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hey guys so I recently downloaded this program which my friend said was safe and it was fine to turn off firewall in order to allow it to work. So I did and then the next morning I was getting charged on my CC's and scariest thing of all last night at 1am I wake up and see someone remotely controlling my PC so I automatically hop on the computer and factory reset it I hit delete from all drives and delete everything. I am currently downloading windows 8 64-bit off a disk. Can the hacker still get into my computer after the new windows installs? I also later deleted the program but when he was on the computer I guess he redownloaded it and I saw it there again. Also what anti-virus and and other things do you guys recommend downloading to protect myself in the future..... First time experiencing this it was pretty scary. And dont worry took care of the CC problem all banks declined all payments.

Solution
If they were using your credit cards, that implies that you have your credit card # on file with retailers that you have bought stuff from in the past using your computer. Change the passwords for your account with any online retailer that you have used. Or perhaps it would be better to close the accounts, and start over. I assume your bank/credit card providers cancelled your credit cards and will issue new ones.

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Yeah cause the bot required my ccs and <mod edit>.... but yeah closed all cards and getting new ones... and changed all my account passwords. I should be goof just need to fully reset my pc so i can calm myself down.

<Moderator Warning: Watch your language on this site>

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

It is called EasyCop

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

Yeahh it was more about buying pairs and reselling limited shoes in order to make some $$ but it screwed me i learned my lesson anyways

genchinho8

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Ok well all is good until now.... I cant get my ethernet to work lol.... I downloaded all the drivers required but cant seem to get the SM bus controller driver? could that be the reason why Im not getting internet?

the program itself is probably not the issue, but the program he send you a link to probably has a "backdoor" because making you turn off your firewall, means it uses a special port to connect via probably a vpn system, granting you full access to your system, much like say remote control from windows or teamviewer can do.

USAFRet

Illustrious

1. Here, install this
2. Turn off your firewall
3. Program talks to wherever I told it to.

Nothing magical. This "program" could be anything. I could make something in Excel that would do this.
This was social engineering, not a magical 'hack'.

Alternate:
1. Here, give my your house key
2. Tell me when you're not home
3. I give your front door key to my cousin, the criminal

As with most "hacks", nothing magical.

MrITguy

Estimable
Dec 13, 2014

Tell your friends he needs to find software. When friends and i talk about software. We always ask or tell each other if the software is good or not. If you formatted the hard drives. Then install windows. You should be fine. I recommend nortan ant-virus. Back in the day they use bog down your system. But now it's not like that. And they catch everything. I use my self. And i use the business anti-virus of it for where i work at. They also catch malware. After installing the OS and only installing software that you trust. I would do a full computer scan just for the heck of it. Just make sure that the software that you personally have is clean.

nashz42000

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
I use Advanced System Care. You can get it free. Also get the Drive Booster. It will fix any driver issues. Advance System has a virus protector.

Anyone that goes online without more protection than the pc came with is asking for trouble.
question: Why didn't you load Win 7?

Porfirio Pires

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

First thing to do when new OS is installed , hacked or not , stop remote controlling of pc ... most people knows this and to do it but for those that Don't ... fight cklick My Computer , goto properties . On the top. Left , there are a few options , choose Remote connection , remove tick from box ... there are other way of achieving this . ... Use an profile with Admin properties lives pc quite exposed , make your profile one step less than Admin. ...
I set my browser to auto delete history on exit ...
Avast free edition works for me as antivirus goes ...

mdd1963

Distinguished

No kidding.

I'm not implying any program was special, or to 'blame' (ask poor Ammy how it feels to be singled out eternally as a 'hack tool'), and certainly not 'magical'. I was just wondering which of the plethora of Remote Access type programs was chosen...and more importantly, which was unknowingly installed. Perhaps once folks are exposed/better familiarized to the names of Teamviewer, ShowMyPC, Ammy, AeroAdmin, Uvnc, UltraViewer. etc., they might then have some sort of 'internal alarm bell ring', vice granting full access.