Solved! Somic V2 - damaged/scratched membrane cover

DonBatter

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
Hey folks,

I am writing here to find an answer to my dilemna troubling me greatly for last couple days. A couple of days ago I noticed that left speaker in my Somic V2 headphones doesn't quite handle bass properly, and by that I mean - terrible and dreadful cracking sound every single time there's a lot of bass. What causes this is a scratch on the membrane plastic cover, as seen in the photo (in the middle of it, actually).

http://i.imgur.com/Yb4WMlG.jpg

I have a friend who is a decent DIY handyman, but I don't know if I should try to repair it on my own at all. On the other hand, waiting at least a month to get through a warranty repair + sending my headphones back and forth doesn't appeal to me.

The question is - Is it possible to fix it on my own, or should I prepare mentally for a dreafully long warranty repair procedure?

Thanks in advance,
DonBatter

Solution
Just going by the picture the plastic cover may not be the cause of the problem since it itself doesn't create any sound. It just blocks the center of the speaker behind it. It's there to reduce the overly bright output in the middle of the dome and maybe protect it.
To repair it you would need the replacement driver that only the company has. They might send it to you but it would probably void the warranty especially if the repair doesn't work out.
Just going by the picture the plastic cover may not be the cause of the problem since it itself doesn't create any sound. It just blocks the center of the speaker behind it. It's there to reduce the overly bright output in the middle of the dome and maybe protect it.
To repair it you would need the replacement driver that only the company has. They might send it to you but it would probably void the warranty especially if the repair doesn't work out.

Solution

DonBatter

Commendable
Jan 23, 2017
A friend sent me a working replacement (a whole speaker), so I should know by tomorrow whether this fixes the problem. He had one left after failing miserably at recabling his Somic V2.