Sony 930e TV w/ Onkyo RZ 620 Receiver - ARC no sound

Feb 26, 2018
Yesterday I bought a brand new Sony 930e TV and a brand new Onkyo RZ 620 receiver.

Last night, I finally had time to go in the basement and connect everything.

I connected an HDMI cable to HDMI Main out (ARC) from the Onkyo receiver to HDMI3/ARC on the Sony TV. I then started playing Netflix content on the TV. Everything just worked and I didn't need to do anything. It was awesome.

However, I accidentally unplugged the power cord to my power strip and both the TV and the receiver powered down. When I restored power to everything, the ARC stopped working. I did nothing but plug the cord back in and turn on the power to the TV. There is zero sound from the receiver.

The weird part is that both the TV and the receiver "think" that ARC is working. What I mean by this is that if I turn on the TV, it automatically turns on the receiver and the receiver switches to the correct input (TV input) for ARC. The display on the receiver acknowledges that it's being controlled by the TV. Further, the volume buttons on the TV remote change the volume on the receiver. The numbers go up and down, but zero sound comes out.

It was working great and now it gives all of the appearances of working, but there is no sound. I want to reiterate that I hadn't modified anything from when it was working. All I did was accidentally disconnect power and then reconnected power.

Since then I've done the intial setup of both the TV and the receiver and played with a bajillion settings. All to no avail.

So in the end, it all worked for about seven minutes and now I cannot get it to work again.

It was certainly glorious for those seven minutes though.

Can anyone please help?

Solution
ARC doesn't have anything to do with the TV and receiver controlling each other. That's called CEC.
Go into the TV menu and make sure that the ARC is turn on. The TV speakers may need to be turned off too.