Sony A7 stilla good camera?

William Norberg

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
Hi, the A7ii is out, and there are other newer models from other manufacturers. But is this camera still good?

It is the cheapest full frame camera in store here in sweden for 1000 usd (8640 kr) and i really don't have that much money. I already own the Sony a77 (mk1) which is wonderful, but i think i need something smaller, newer and a bigger sensor. What do you guys think?

Solution

bicycle_repair_man

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Do you really? Think carefully about how you'll benefit from a larger sensor before you spend a truck-load of cash. My inclination is that if you have to ask, you probably don't need it.

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Bigger sensors always look better. It is true. I have never seen an APS-C sensor look like a full frame one, or a full frame one look like medium format. It uses the same sensor as nikon's D600 (Sony made the sensor, it is the IMX128). It is one of the highest rated sensors ever on DXO mark, the industry standard for camera measurement (though Nikon significantly beats Sony over the head with their own sensor in the D600/610 and D750, scoring much higher). I have a D600, and the pictures look wonderful. Much better than my D3200, even when it had good glass on it. The two have the same megapixel count.

As far as the price, that looks like it is right in line with the rest of the market. The camera is still good by todays standards, though the A7ii is a little better, as you would expect with a newer model.

William Norberg

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

But is the upgrade worth it considering the price? There is a 500 dollar difference here in Sweden.

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Well, here is my question. What glass do you have right now? Can any of it work on full frame? If not, no. You won't realize the potential of the camera if you have glass designed for a crop camera. If you can flip that glass and get at least one good full frame lens or already have one, then yes, that's a great entry price and entry camera to Sony's full frame lineup. Go for it, I don't think you'll regret it.

William Norberg

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

I will be getting the Zeiss Batis 85mm lense and maybe some cheaper sigma 50mm lense later on for street photography.

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Those are good lenses. The 85mm is a little cropped to me, but it certainly makes it a lot easier to get tighter shots on the street. I use a 28mm a lot, but hey, it is all personal preference. I compose better images with some lenses than others, and primes have the advantage of usually being fairly sharp, and Zeiss makes great glass. If only there was an option for autofocus enabled Zeiss glass on Nikon.

Solution