Solved! FF Camera for Hobbyist?

longbowman

Estimable
Apr 8, 2015
Hi folks,

I've been looking to upgrade my old T1i for some time now. A relative owns a 6D (my first full-frame digital experience) and I loved the improvement in dynamic range, the overall presentation of light, the DOF, etc. I have tried the t5i and t6i for comparison, and wasn't impressed at all despite running close to $1000 here.

I'm currently debating between the Sony a7 (or a7II, but the extra $400 doesn't seem worth it) and either a new 6D (surprisingly expensive here), or a used D750, 610, etc. Mainly looking to do casual portrait, landscape and lower-light photography (indoor and outdoor artsy stuff). I understand glass is an important factor here but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money.

I'd also like it to be able to do video. The 6D was a huge improvement over the t6i (in the short time I was able to use it anyway), but I know these cameras aren't really known for their video capabilities and the 6D didn't shoot well in low light. It will mostly be static video (think YouTube videos of music lessons, playthroughs, etc).

I've been browsing around for quite a while but I haven't really been able to find anything conclusively pointing me towards what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!