Sony Bravia HX803 Packs 3D PS3 Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I thought the games would already be 3D since the 3D images are already calculated with the graphics processor. I thought all they needed was a firmware update?

So that means that you will have a regular and 3D version of the new games they will release?

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
3D up conversion... i don't even see how that is supposed to work properly, its not like you can properly intemperate whats around a corner from an image at one angle, compared to up converting a lower resolution image.

is nice but will be waiting on auto stereoscopic displays driven with oled panels, i think this is where display technology will really start to get into the realms of realism :)

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
This is just the beginning. I won't be surprised if someone decides to make a 3D Touchscreen phone. I think it's going to be great n all, but how much is all this stuff going to run?

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Is this going to be at 200hz exactly, because 24fps doesn't divide evenly into that. Wouldn't we be stuck with the same problem that 120hz was trying to fix?

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]jsrudd[/nom]Is this going to be at 200hz exactly, because 24fps doesn't divide evenly into that. Wouldn't we be stuck with the same problem that 120hz was trying to fix?[/citation]

FPS doesn't = Hertz (HZ). FPS is how many frames your GPU can render, HZ = How many frames it can Display.

Lets say your gpu can render 90 FPS @ 30hz, that means that for every 3 frames your gpu is making, only 1 is getting to the display. If your FPS = 30 and your hz = 60, that means your display is showing the same frame twice. So, optimum would be if the fps and hz was equal, that is vsync.

Now, hear comes the thing I don't understand that I need someone to explain to me. The last time I checked, the ps3 was only capable of 1080p @ 24hz with a blue ray movie. And, if you need 120hz, or 200hz for this t.v., then how is it displaying it? If I do the math, then that is like 12hz per eye the ps3 can output, and, 200/12hz = 16.666, so that means basically 16 frames are being duplicated per hz of the television. That can't be good for the 3d effect.

Thats not even taking into account the actual frame rates you would be getting from games, that the gpu actually has to render. What kind of FPS does the ps3 even get? If you get anything less than 60fps, then you are gonna start to see stuttering, along with the problem mentioned above.

Maybe I'm missing something- can someone please explain this to me? Really confused about how ps3 is gonna pull of 3d.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Your question is the same as mine actually. I was talking specifically about movies (not games)which are at 24fps because that is the frame rate at which all motion pictures are shot at. I don't see how 200hz will give smooth images, because as you said it doesn't divide evenly. normally this is done (at 60hz) by rendering the 1st frame 3 times and the 2nd frame 2 times, the 3rd frame 3 times. etc.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]FPS doesn't = Hertz (HZ). FPS is how many frames your GPU can render, HZ = How many frames it can Display. Lets say your gpu can render 90 FPS @ 30hz, that means that for every 3 frames your gpu is making, only 1 is getting to the display. If your FPS = 30 and your hz = 60, that means your display is showing the same frame twice. So, optimum would be if the fps and hz was equal, that is vsync. Now, hear comes the thing I don't understand that I need someone to explain to me. The last time I checked, the ps3 was only capable of 1080p @ 24hz with a blue ray movie. And, if you need 120hz, or 200hz for this t.v., then how is it displaying it? If I do the math, then that is like 12hz per eye the ps3 can output, and, 200/12hz = 16.666, so that means basically 16 frames are being duplicated per hz of the television. That can't be good for the 3d effect. Thats not even taking into account the actual frame rates you would be getting from games, that the gpu actually has to render. What kind of FPS does the ps3 even get? If you get anything less than 60fps, then you are gonna start to see stuttering, along with the problem mentioned above. Maybe I'm missing something- can someone please explain this to me? Really confused about how ps3 is gonna pull of 3d.[/citation]

I'm sure they take this into account and have some sort of frame buffer built in to equalize the two before the image is displayed.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]I'm sure they take this into account and have some sort of frame buffer built in to equalize the two before the image is displayed.[/citation]
Really? Hmm, never heard of that before.

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
The specs for blue ray 3d require that each frame (left and right) is compressed via an h.264 extension. (businesswire)"MPEG4-MVC compresses both left and right eye views with a typical 50% overhead compared to equivalent 2D content, and can provide full 1080p resolution backward compatibility with current 2D Blu-ray Disc players."

So each frame is takes half the BW and 2 are sent at once, BUT they are still individual frames, that way the TV can do whatever it needs to make it "3D", which seems like a good choice to me.

If they had instead pre-combined each frame like you see at theatres, it would have been incompatible with systems using active-shutter glasses like Nvidia's, because the tech requires that each frame be displayed individually.

The other main 3D method (used in theatres for Avatar etc.) displays frames with 2 different light polairities, filtered by 2 polarized lenses, so it works by physical property and doesn't require any sort of frame alternating/timing, and so is far more flexible.

So by accomadating the less flexible standard, the BD-association was able to create a new standard, that DIDN'T instantly trash the preexisting install base. About time SOMEONE managed to do that.

BTW, main difference between the two main 3D display types:
Active-shutter: Cheaper screens, expensive glasses.
Polarized: More expensive screens, cheap glasses.

aquila

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]FPS doesn't = Hertz (HZ). FPS is how many frames your GPU can render, HZ = How many frames it can Display. Lets say your gpu can render 90 FPS @ 30hz, that means that for every 3 frames your gpu is making, only 1 is getting to the display. If your FPS = 30 and your hz = 60, that means your display is showing the same frame twice. So, optimum would be if the fps and hz was equal, that is vsync. Now, hear comes the thing I don't understand that I need someone to explain to me. The last time I checked, the ps3 was only capable of 1080p @ 24hz with a blue ray movie. And, if you need 120hz, or 200hz for this t.v., then how is it displaying it? If I do the math, then that is like 12hz per eye the ps3 can output, and, 200/12hz = 16.666, so that means basically 16 frames are being duplicated per hz of the television. That can't be good for the 3d effect. Thats not even taking into account the actual frame rates you would be getting from games, that the gpu actually has to render. What kind of FPS does the ps3 even get? If you get anything less than 60fps, then you are gonna start to see stuttering, along with the problem mentioned above. Maybe I'm missing something- can someone please explain this to me? Really confused about how ps3 is gonna pull of 3d.[/citation]
You will see regular bluray to be 1080p @ 24fps (in this case I am using the terms interchangeably, meaning 24 movie frames per second), but PS3 games don't limit themselves to 1080 / 24p. The 1080 / 24p is for bluray compatiblity. Now I wasn't able to get the full specs on 3D Bluray from wikipedia or any of its references with a quick check, but I'm sure they considered having at least 24fps per eye: http://www.hd-report.com/2009/12/18/3d-specs-finalized-for-blu-ray-to-hit-market-next-year/

Status
Not open for further replies.