Sony Calls PSP Piracy "Sickening"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
The people who pirate games are people who aren't going to buy the game anyway.

That doesn't make it right, but I'm calling 'bullshit' on their claim that they're losing so much money because of piracy.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Well, if they want to VASTLY improve their software sales all they have to do cut some slack to our wallets. Nor that I owe a PSP but if I were I'd only buy top games and I'd still consider buying em with the current economic crisis.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I like Sony Hardware for the very thing they are now trying to prevent. Even though I don't pirate games, the ease of it helps make other things easier like link up to your PC, watch cable, watch movies, emulate Game-boy, and a good many other things you can't do on other handhelds. Same applies to PS3 with its easy swap HDD.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I have a solution for the problem: charge more for hardware. Its simple really, if people aren't paying for games then make the hardware profitable.

mrfisthand

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, except that DS games are pirated too, pretty much as easily, and they're still outranking PSP. Corporations need to go back to kindergarten and learn to accept responsibility

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]blarneypete[/nom]The people who pirate games are people who aren't going to buy the game anyway.That doesn't make it right, but I'm calling 'bullshit' on their claim that they're losing so much money because of piracy.[/citation]

thats the weakest argument anyone can make. if you're downloading it illegally, obviously you want it. they're downloading it illegally so they don't have to buy it, to save themselves money. it's stealing. how could you defend piracy after all the hard work developers put into making these games?

G

The reason they don't sell many games is because they are too much money, and I'd rather use my PSP for movies (not on UMD either), mp3's, and internet radio. The device is great, they just cripple it with a lack of apps and expensive games.

How about Netflix or Youtube streaming? Oh and how about an wireless N-device and a browser that's actually worth a darn?

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I'm really surprised to hear this as I didn't know there was anything worth pirating on the PSP. The PSP isn't exactly famous for its games and most people I've seen who own one have only ever used them as portable media players.

astrotrain1000

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I own a PSP and the only games I want keep getting released for the DS, FFIV, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest etc. I only own 4 games for my psp and when I walk into a store I just don't see anything that will make me part with $40 on a hand held game that I wouldn't play much

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
You guys think just like me, If there wasnt pirating, i simply wouldnt buy games. In todays economy, i dont have money. $50 for a game and $1 for a song, that i get tired of in 2-10 days, is not worth it. Theres plenty of free online games, you can listen to the radio or watch things on youtube. I dont buy games, i dont think sony should be crying when they already have a billion dollar industry. oh no 100 million we didnt get, now we only have 8 billion of in come this year :'( this is SADNESS!

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]You guys think just like me, If there wasnt pirating, i simply wouldnt buy games. In todays economy, i dont have money. $50 for a game and $1 for a song, that i get tired of in 2-10 days, is not worth it. Theres plenty of free online games, you can listen to the radio or watch things on youtube. I dont buy games, i dont think sony should be crying when they already have a billion dollar industry. oh no 100 million we didnt get, now we only have 8 billion of in come this year this is SADNESS![/citation]

I haven't seen a new game for $50 here in australia since the early nineties. Here its $100-120 and that was even when we had pretty much parity with the US dollar. So imho they need to pipe down about piracy coz they're certainly making the money back from inflated pricing.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Also how many people are buying the PSP system for the sole reason they can pirate and put their own software on it?
I know I did that with the DS

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I've been tempted to buy a PSP for a while now. It was a good set of hardware that seemed fun.
Now it seems outdated, expensive, and just complete junk.
$200+ for a 222/333 MHz processor? At those prices, why not go for something like the Atom inside the PSP? 1.6GHz, and uses crap all for power, and I'd bet it'd be damned cheap...
Sell me decent hardware that's worth what I'm paying, and I'll reconsider buying a PSP in the first place (same goes for the Wii, I foolishly almost got one over a xbox 360 which is cheaper).

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
The solution is simple. Sell the games $10 - $20 each, instead of $40 - $50 they're now. NOBODY will bother pirating/downloading. Is this so hard to understand???? Sony? Same goes for music and software/OS.

ceriaz

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
[citation][nom]blarneypete[/nom]The people who pirate games are people who aren't going to buy the game anyway.That doesn't make it right, but I'm calling 'bullshit' on their claim that they're losing so much money because of piracy.[/citation]

This is true for me. I own and occasionally use every current gaming console except the Wii (including a PC). I will often download games from my software enhanced PSP/DS to check them out as demos are rarely available. If i really like it, play it a lot and so on I will go out and buy the game to support the developer but I will keep using my 'pirated' copy on my PSP as the load times on UMD suck.

For the PSP i am in favour of digital downloads as long as good demos are available as well. I would stop torrenting games to check them out and just demo and buy them.

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mrfisthand[/nom]Yeah, except that DS games are pirated too, pretty much as easily, and they're still outranking PSP. Corporations need to go back to kindergarten and learn to accept responsibility[/citation]
Exactly fisthand... if Sony is blaming pirates for their software sales problems, then I'm calling bullshit.

On the other hand, maybe it's because software piracy for the DS isn't as "well-known"?

Status
Not open for further replies.