Sony Confirms Massive Data Breach Affecting 70 Million PlayStation Network Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And some people/corporations still embrace the cloud idea where everything is consolidated, think it will be any different from this in a security perspective ? really!? /sigh

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I guess this data intrusion is made by one of the tons of people Sony have pissed of in the last year with all of its "legal" crusades, you reap what you sow!

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
This isn't very surprising, especially from what happened with the online trophies reseting earlier in the PS3's lifetime.

Good thing I don't play playstation games online.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Guess anonymous is fighting for geohot[/citation]
I have my doubts that Anon is capable of pulling something like this. Breaking into PSN is a lot different than a DDOS attack.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why did Sony need that information for a PSN account, was it purely for billing purposes? And if I'm not mistaken, isn't the base PSN subscription free? Why would they need your address for a free account? I can't imagine they have 70 million paying subscribers, have they even sold that many PS3s? If I recall, Nintendo said it sold 80-some million Wiis, and I thought they sold more than twice what the PS3 did. Who are these 70 million people?

Anyway, back to my point, why does Sony have this information? When I want to buy games off the Wii store, I use a gift card, is the same option not available for PSN? There are enough sites out there with information I'd really rather they didn't have (Google, PayPal, Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect), and I just can't imagine why Sony has that information, or why it's stored with their PSN network, and not with some secondary, more secure e-tailer. It's good to know Sony values your credit card and personal information as much as your GOW profile ranking.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]This is pretty much the worst thing that I think has every happened to the playstation brand... wow[/citation]
Agreed.

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
This is stupid. I hope that these hackers get tracked down and thrown in jail for the rest of their natural lives. It's one thing to go at the company because of some issue it has with the way it dealt with geohot (which, in itself, is stupid since he was a criminal and stole), but to compromise the personal information of everyone on the PSN, that goes way beyond company attacks and enters the realm of personal attacks of those who use the PSN and identity theft. I don't use the PSN, I'm a PC gamer all the way, but I think that if I ever met one of these basement dwelling "anonymous" idiots, I'd give them a piece of my mind and my boot in their face.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Why did Sony need that information for a PSN account, was it purely for billing purposes? And if I'm not mistaken, isn't the base PSN subscription free? Why would they need your address for a free account? I can't imagine they have 70 million paying subscribers, have they even sold that many PS3s? If I recall, Nintendo said it sold 80-some million Wiis, and I thought they sold more than twice what the PS3 did. Who are these 70 million people?Anyway, back to my point, why does Sony have this information? When I want to buy games off the Wii store, I use a gift card, is the same option not available for PSN? There are enough sites out there with information I'd really rather they didn't have (Google, PayPal, Amazon, Newegg, TigerDirect), and I just can't imagine why Sony has that information, or why it's stored with their PSN network, and not with some secondary, more secure e-tailer. It's good to know Sony values your credit card and personal information as much as your GOW profile ranking.[/citation]

The 70 million figure reflects both PS3 and PSP users. And while PSN's basic service is free, it's hardly uncommon for places to collect personal data (such as address/DOB/etc.) when registering an account. If I remember correctly, you don't have to enter billing information until you actually want to purchase something within PSN.

Hope they didn't get billing information as well - I'd really like to avoid having to go through the process of freezing my card/getting a new one, putting fraud alerts on my credit reports, etc. Ugh.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Maybe Nintendo/MS won't have to worry about a PS4 after all. This is major negative press AND the financial loss of players being unable to purchase anything for what's looking to push two weeks now. Sony's really trying to extend their PS Suite on phones and tablets, but who's going to buy anything and take that risk right now?

I don't think Anon in general is responsible here, but that doesn't mean it isn't a radical from that group. It's also possible that someone from the mod community is independently getting revenge for a fellow modder. You don't stir up a beehive if you're allergic to bees.

jahmekan

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Anon already stated they had nothing to do with this breach. Sony is in a heap of trouble. Talk about putting your eggs in one basket. The hackers got a hold of everything! We knew shit was going down when they stated that they had to rebuild the whole network. I hope the hackers are found and stand charges, but the odds of that happening will be very slim. As much as I have been pissed at Sony lately, this I would not have wished upon them. I hope they takes steps to protecting their users in the future.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]This is stupid. I hope that these hackers get tracked down and thrown in jail for the rest of their natural lives. It's one thing to go at the company because of some issue it has with the way it dealt with geohot (which, in itself, is stupid since he was a criminal and stole), but to compromise the personal information of everyone on the PSN, that goes way beyond company attacks and enters the realm of personal attacks of those who use the PSN and identity theft. I don't use the PSN, I'm a PC gamer all the way, but I think that if I ever met one of these basement dwelling "anonymous" idiots, I'd give them a piece of my mind and my boot in their face.[/citation]
May I ask something? What did geohot stolen?
Also there's no link that it was the Anonymous group that hacked PSN. It's probable it wasn't them because they most likely lack the expertise to execute a job of this dimension. Hacking PSN is a lot different than a DDOS attack.
Anyone can do a DOS attack, all you need to do is download LOIC and press a button to start the attack. Add more people to the mix doing the same thing in coordination and you have a DDOS attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.