Sony DCR-HC20E pal won't transfer video via firewire

Status
Not open for further replies.

planick36

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
Hi,

I have an old Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M1451G laptop, Windows XP Home Edition SP3, Intel(R) Pentium(R) M, processor 2.00GHz, 2.00GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X300 graphic card. The laptop has a firewire (i-Link port) and the driver is: Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.

I have the Sony Handycam DCR-HC20E pal miniDV. Recently I decided to transfer my miniDV tapes to the laptop connecting the camera to it via firewire. It didn't work out though. I did a search over the internet, read a lot of solutions but nothing worked. I tried almost everything: re-installed SP1, removed the card with the firewire on in order to automatically install the IEEE drivers, etc. etc.

I found the DCR-HC20E USB drivers on the internet, downloaded them but nothing! The USB drivers were installed right because Sony Imaging Video message appeared. When I connect the camera using the USB cable it works fine but the video quality is very very poor and don't want that. When I connect the camera using the firewire cable and port, nothing happens.

The funny thing is that a DV in sign appears on the LCD of the camera when I connect it to the firewire port but that's it. I tried some video softwares: Sony Vegas, WinDV, Windows Movie Maker but nothing happened. The camera is connected to the laptop via firewire, the DV in sign appears but no device is found. When I connect the camera via USB there is a sound and the camera is ready to use but when I connect it via firewire no sound, nothing.

I checked the camera settings but no i.Link settings (on nor off). I read the manual and it says that the i.Link port on the camera is IN / OUT but why only the DV in sign shows up? How I will turn the camera to DV out so that I can transfer my miniDV tapes to laptop?

It's really frustrating... Any help would be much appreciated...

Nikos

Status
Not open for further replies.