Sony DCR TRV103 not found by Win 7

Brian Galuardi

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
How do I get Win 7 (64 bit) to recognize my Sony DCR TRV103? FireWire card seems to be recognized, but capture software (ULead, Adobe Premier 7, MovieMaker 2.6 with the 2.1 trick applied) do not see camera as a source for capture. FireWire card ( SIIG) seems to be working, according to device manager. Help! Got a boxful of tapes with kid memories that need to be preserved.

Solution
Okay. Here is one for the record books. For three years, I could not get my Sony TRV103 to be recognized by my Win 7 64 bit PC. Today I replaced the 4-pin to 6- pin cable with a 4- pin to 4- pin cable. The PC immediately "saw" the camera and offered both my ULead capture software and my Adobe Premier Elements (v7) to capture the video. This sounds like some engineers sick idea of a joke. Problem solved thanks to all who tried to help me.
Do you have the camera set to VTR mode when you are trying to get it recognized by any of the capture software? What device settings are you using in Premiere Pro? Is the camera turned on and set to VTR mode before or after you connect the firewire cable?

Brian Galuardi

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

Thank you, Phillip and Ken. I have now tried playing camera in both VTR mode and in camera mode while connected to the FireWire cable. I also have tried connecting the FireWire cable after powering up the camcorder in VTR mode. Neither the ULead nor the Premier software sees any device, other than the ULead USB capture device I have connected to a VHS player. I'm not sure what settings Ken is asking about in Adobe Premier. Not sure I have the "Pro" version on Premier. I'll keep trying things you suggest, so please keep the questions/suggestions coming. I am considering transferring the FireWire card to an old XP machine I have to see if the OS is in my way. What do you think?

When you say Adobe Premiere 7 are you referring to the latest version of Premiere or a much older version? What do you see if you click on Help and the About Adobe Premiere? When you open capture from the File menu, look in the upper right hand corner and look for the Settings tab. What do you see under Device Control? Do you see None or DV/HDV Device Control? If you see None then try switching the setting to DV/HDV Device Control. The settings may be different in older versions of Premiere.
I only ask these questions because I have an old Sony Hi8 camcorder that I am able to connect via firewire and capture from on a Windows 7 machine. I also use Adobe Premiere (Pro version 6 and Pro CC 7.2.1)

Srdan Zirojevic

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

I have been trying to do the same thing - I am using win8.1 x64, and the OS detects the TRV103. Adobe Premiere 7.0 elements (about one year old I believe) complains that there is no device detected, although I can use the play/stop/rewind/fwd buttons on the capture dialog box to control the camera in VTR mode, but no data is transferred to the computer. I can only view it on the camera's lcd... did anyone have any luck with transferring data from this model? (Years ago, I used the software supplied with the camera to do it, but I no longer have the CDs. I think the name of the sw was DV something...)

I'm not familiar with Premiere Elements. Is there a record button in the capture dialog box? If there is then you should be able to start capturing as soon as you hit the playback button. I know in Premiere Pro that if I want to capture I will have to hit the record button in the capture dialog box after I hit the playback button to start playing the video.

Srdan Zirojevic

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Ken,
there is record button on Premiere Elements (I think that the core of the applications is the same, the amount of filters and features is limited on Elements compared to Pro version), but it does not get enabled as the device (camera) does not get recognized. Once I turn the camera on (to VTR mode) and plug in the 1394 cable, Win8 detects the camera and offers me adobe premiere as an option to capture videos. (and that's where it ends)
On a bright side, I was able to use MS Movie Maker (free download), which was capable of retrieving the video data from my tapes. Win8 now offers me a choice of Premiere vs Movie Maker when the camera gets plugged in, and I go with MS to a successful download.
thanks again for the reply!
-Serge

You're welcome and I'm glad you found a solution. I guess you can now capture with MS Movie Maker and edit in Premiere Elements. Sorry that you will have to take the extra step but at least you found a cheap way to capture the video.

Brian Galuardi

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Okay. Here is one for the record books. For three years, I could not get my Sony TRV103 to be recognized by my Win 7 64 bit PC. Today I replaced the 4-pin to 6- pin cable with a 4- pin to 4- pin cable. The PC immediately "saw" the camera and offered both my ULead capture software and my Adobe Premier Elements (v7) to capture the video. This sounds like some engineers sick idea of a joke. Problem solved thanks to all who tried to help me.

Solution

Glad you found the solution and thank you for posting how you solved the problem.