Sony Details ''Welcome Back'' Gift for PSN Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
ok.... so what happens to the people (like me) who tried to get a PSN account but couldnt because it was down, do we get compensated too?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]ok.... so what happens to the people (like me) who tried to get a PSN account but couldnt because it was down, do we get compensated too?[/citation]

You get the best gift of all. Hackers don't have all your credit card info.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]You get the best gift of all. Hackers don't have all your credit card info.[/citation]
LOL!, and I mean it, not a cold poker face starring at the screen thinking lol

G

Only people who subscribe to ps+ and things deserve any sort of compensation its cool tht sonys giving everyone gifts but the people who annoy me are the people who don't pay anything yet still say what sony are giving us isn't enough. Even people who DO pay for ps+ don't deserve any more than what they're giving as they're giving us a months free ps+

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What Sony didn't make explicit is that by re-creating your password (and thus, re-activating your PSN account) you waive your right to pursue class-action lawsuits against Sony for any damages incurred due to the theft of your personal information. The supreme court just decided (in a case against AT&T) that user agreements can bind individuals who waive their right to pursue class-action lawsuits against a corporation.

Even if they aren't sly enough to slip this little clause into the whole re-activating your account thing (I'm being a bit facetious there), I have NO DOUBT that accepting their "welcome back package" WILL be throwing away your lawsuit rights. Of course, $15 worth of subscription and some free music/games is probably a hell of a lot more than you'd get joining a class-action against Sony, so it's probably not worth turning it down.

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I disagree with you Ajaycloud. I do not pay for PS+, but I have pruchased content from the network. Since Sony ensured that my information would be safe, they owe it to their loyal buyers of their materials to make amends.

If they did nothing for everyone, would you buy their products again? I probably wouldn't.

@hellwig

Right you are about the EULA. There will msot likely be a clause about no class action suits. There is one already filed in San Fransico http://www.techfirm.com/storage/JohnsvSony-Complaint-FINAL.pdf

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
SOE's Everquest II Extended has been shut down stating there was enough concern to do so. I do not know if this has also effected other SOE titles like Everquest I/II, DC Online, etc...

If this problem reached as deep as penetrating all the PC MMO subscribers info of any sort then well wow...

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
SOE MAINTENANCE In Progress

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Valued SOE Customers,
We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).
We apologize for any inconvenience and greatly appreciate your patience.

I meant to say WoW not wow... hehe j/k hate WoW...

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
SOE Everquest II Live servers are down as well as Sony Station.com which would indicate to me all of Sony's PC based online mmo's are down due to these silly hackers....that claimed, "they didn't want to affect gamers"...but that's not quite working out you idiots!!!!

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Or they could just give me $10 for my wallet so I can go spend it on anything I like, instead of asking me if I want all of these trial/demo crap stuff.

G

Ajaycloud :

Only people who subscribe to ps+ and things deserve any sort of compensation its cool tht sonys giving everyone gifts but the people who annoy me are the people who don't pay anything yet still say what sony are giving us isn't enough. Even people who DO pay for ps+ don't deserve any more than what they're giving as they're giving us a months free ps+

So all those people who got their information stolen (name, address, DOB, email, etc) who would be likely victims of identity theft in the future don't deserve to get compensated? Put some thought on what you say please

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Or they could just give me $10 for my wallet so I can go spend it on anything I like, instead of asking me if I want all of these trial/demo crap stuff.[/citation]

I couldn't agree more, if there is a HIPAA breach, the organization will typically give every affected individual a year of credit monitoring services. By offering a bunch of free trials, demos and "selected playstation entertainment content" is total BS. We're sorry.. so here is some free stuff.. No No No, we're not THAT sorry, you don't get nice free stuff.

Sony, our acceptance of your apology resides at another castle, please try again!

G

@razorblaze42

your sensitive information is unsecured and your more then happy to leave it that way just as long as you can carry on playing your online games right?

yes the criminals they did this deserve to be kicked, but a fundamental flaw in Sony's security model allowed a single hack to leave it's whole online services exposed, that's close to criminal neglect, you have to wonder who should be called the idiot in that scenario

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]TheCorrectIdiot[/nom]@razorblaze42 your sensitive information is unsecured and your more then happy to leave it that way just as long as you can carry on playing your online games right?yes the criminals they did this deserve to be kicked, but a fundamental flaw in Sony's security model allowed a single hack to leave it's whole online services exposed, that's close to criminal neglect, you have to wonder who should be called the idiot in that scenario[/citation]

I don't blame Sony at all. I completely blame these hackers that illegally broke into Sony's servers. Your claim that this was a single hack... is speculation at best... we all know a popular hacker group threaten to launch multiple attacks against Sony... I guess they made good on those threats and they (the hackers) are the people I'm upset with.

G

what if the ps3 that your account was on got deleted off of it and is now permanitily used on a different ps3?

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]I don't blame Sony at all. I completely blame these hackers that illegally broke into Sony's servers. Your claim that this was a single hack... is speculation at best... we all know a popular hacker group threaten to launch multiple attacks against Sony... I guess they made good on those threats and they (the hackers) are the people I'm upset with.[/citation]
I wonder if a hacker hacked your banking account and removed all your money if you wouldn't put some blame on the bank.
Of course the hackers are the one with the biggest pie of the blame and should be caught and brought to justice, but Sony is also responsible for the safety of the user data they store.

Status
Not open for further replies.