Sony Ericsson Dropping Ericsson Name in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Curse you, Nokia, for not doing the same. I used to like your phones the most.[/citation]
I dunno...i actually like sony-ericsson's symbian phones, they've implemented the OS very well. VERY convenient and highly customisable options within the OS. Better than Nokia, IMO, though Nokia's battery life is usually awesome.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I always liked Ericsson products, so when it came time to upgrade I got a Sony Ericsson phone... I realized too late that this one required me to use a memory stick for my expansion memory... 40$ for something I could have paid 10$ (Micro SD) for... Never again, Sony has ruined a great brand for me.

julius 85

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Sony Ericsson K610i was the best phone I've ever had. Too bad they're discontinued. And yeah, I liked Symbian.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Sony never had much market share in the past and today again nobody is waiting for a Sony branded phone. For several reasons.

1) Sony is a brand entity has created a very bad name for itself amongst techsavvy people (rootkit, bullying playstation 3 tactics etc...)
2) At the start Sony-Ericsson featurephones where very good. Because they were essentially Ericsson producs. But gradually the Sony influence became stronger and the quality of their products detoriated.

3) Also their featurephones were good much better than their smartphones. This still is so unfortunatly nobody sells Sony(-Ericsson) featurephones anymore. I mean that Elm looks more interesting than Nokia's C3-01/X3-02 yet it's nowhere to find.

Another influencial company that's digging its own grave. Stupid.

Also Sony ditching Symbian and only using Android (as if there aren't enough Android phone developpers already) is a wrong decision. Nobody is waiting for a bland Android model amongst the better quality HTC's, more outspoken technically advanced Samsungs or cheap and crappy Huawei/ZTE models.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Sony has finally caught on and sees the importance of the mobile market - seeing as some of their other divisions (TV & Consoles) aren't doing as well as once they were. Buying Ericsson and entrenching (and developing handsets) would have been a better move a year or so ago.

Hopefully they can offer some innovative competitive products.
I'm personally intersested to see how this develops.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
killing Symbian is not good, becuase if Symbian gets no attention anymore, then Android will take over for sure and Symbian will die, and if google decides to charge for Android or keep it exclusive to a few companies, then we are all screwed, and Symbian will be left behind as it will lack attention/updates and apps, Also, since, more and more companies that use Android, in a way, help to give more attention to Android making it a success, so in the event google pulls the plug, they will be gaining off all the work of other companies (that helped make android s success). Right now its the other companies that are working in a way to Market Android, and google bennifits by that, and doens't have to put any marketing effort. (Google gets free marketing, and a new marketshare of the mobile os market, in exchange for a company to use the os for free right now). Since google uses linux, developement costs are dow, so google is getting a free ride.. But now that all the companies help android get where google wanted it to go, google could change the terms as they already got all the free publicity they wanted for next to nothing, and bennifit almost 100% in the deal. This could lead to a scary solution, as in the future all alternative OS's would have died off, and companies will have no choice but to use Android. And even as good of a name brand is, if a customer doesn't get what they want, the company will risk loosing the customer.

THis is why, if companies played it smart, have two lines of products. The second line is for keeping the other OS alive for in the event something bad happens with Android.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]killing Symbian is not good, becuase if Symbian gets no attention anymore, then Android will take over for sure and Symbian will die, and if google decides to charge for Android or keep it exclusive to a few companies, then we are all screwed, and Symbian will be left behind as it will lack attention/updates and apps, Also, since, more and more companies that use Android, in a way, help to give more attention to Android making it a success, so in the event google pulls the plug, they will be gaining off all the work of other companies (that helped make android s success). Right now its the other companies that are working in a way to Market Android, and google bennifits by that, and doens't have to put any marketing effort. (Google gets free marketing, and a new marketshare of the mobile os market, in exchange for a company to use the os for free right now). Since google uses linux, developement costs are dow, so google is getting a free ride.. But now that all the companies help android get where google wanted it to go, google could change the terms as they already got all the free publicity they wanted for next to nothing, and bennifit almost 100% in the deal. This could lead to a scary solution, as in the future all alternative OS's would have died off, and companies will have no choice but to use Android. And even as good of a name brand is, if a customer doesn't get what they want, the company will risk loosing the customer.THis is why, if companies played it smart, have two lines of products. The second line is for keeping the other OS alive for in the event something bad happens with Android.[/citation]
I don't think Google is dumb enough to close off Android to only a few companies, they make no money selling the OS since they don't sell it, they make money on ad and search revenue from the phones and the more companies and phones with Android the more money they make.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]killing Symbian is not good, becuase if Symbian gets no attention anymore, then Android will take over for sure and Symbian will die...[/citation]
Symbian is already dead.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Symbian is dead, it was crap back when the first models came out and it's definitely crap now that android , ios and mango is here. Just look at Nokia and there obsession with symbian and see where that led. But i don't think Sony will make a dent in the mobile market they will probably make PlayStation phones and Walkman's but there won't be any more distinctive features among then and they will get lost in the crowd. Expensive and uninovative does't work just ask Nokia

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Sony makes some sh*ty phones. They need to be on par with Samsung. They're not even on par with HTC at the moment. I really wanted the Playstation phone to do well, but the hardware sucks. Give me a phone with at least 16GB of internal memory. If they can do that and their customers that they are serious about pushing out updates, then they might succeed.

The Samsung Galaxy S and S2 are very popular because of the huge development community. Wish I can say the same about Sony phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.