Sony Ericsson: We Refused to Build Google's Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky015

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
So in other words they gave up the chance of making a nearly perfect phone just because they couldn't put their badge on it?

How about a simple solution... a label saying "Made by Sony Ericsson for Google"

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Not surprising. Branding is everything now. Just consider how many different laptop brands are designed and made by the same OEMs like Compal Electronics and Quanta Computer.

G

The Nexus One was a great phone but it does have its down sides. Being an AT&T customer myself I've been pretty pissed about the AT&T offerings recently. In the US T-Mobile and Verizon have a lock on everything. However, I'm really looking forward to the Xperia X10 on AT&T and that will be my replacement to my "ancient" Blackberry 8820 for sure. Stats are almost the same as the Nexus One.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]lucky015[/nom]So in other words they gave up the chance of making a nearly perfect phone just because they couldn't put their badge on it?How about a simple solution... a label saying "Made by Sony Ericsson for Google"[/citation]

That's what I don't get. Everyone knows HTC made the Nexus One. It could have been so good for Sony. Knobs.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Maybe the agreement was for Sony-Ericsson to produce Android phones exclusively for Google only. So S-E cannot market one with their own brand.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
The Nexus One could have been a cash cow for them. It's a real shame they didn't take up the offer. They should have had a Google label with a "powered by Sony Ericsson" slogan or the Sony Ericsson label with a "powered by google" slogan on the back of the phone.

talzara

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Not surprising. Branding is everything now. Just consider how many different laptop brands are designed and made by the same OEMs like Compal Electronics and Quanta Computer.[/citation]

These are called ODMs (Original Design Manufacturers). An OEM would be HP, Toshiba, etc.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I'm not excited by HTC brand. I've used them in the past and meh. Ericsson branding would have worked for me. I use an ericsson now and call me crazy but I rather have it than an apple.

G

"NOO!! we not make fon fo google... we has enough competition already!!!

epic japanese fail... lol"

Thats just soo right. =)

I am a Sony-Ericsson fan and though I had to buy an HTC and I must say: I love it! Sense UI... mmmmm the best skin for Android so far. X10 sounds a little not exactly clear what it aims at as it comes already very very late. I would choose again HTC legend unboody if I had to buy something new

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Sony Ericsson has long been a user/backer of Symbian. I can see why it wouldn't want to have any exclusivity with Android. That being said, nobody is buying the Nexus One either so no big loss to S.E.

G

As in the book "Made in Japan", written by Akio Morita, Sony decided not to be an OEM, or ODM, in the 1950s. So this kind of decision is nothing but new...

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
bydesign what do u mean not as good? not as good as what? the droid? its better in every way shape and form. it just doesnt have a keyboard... other than that faster processor more ram more rom better type of screen should i go on?

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Hmm, most reviewers don't agree and sales figures don't support your notion. Plus why not a norm HTC and reduce the effect Google’s greedy little clutches? They also support a much higher than average return rate from dissatisfied customers. Android may not be flop but the Nexon One was a huge one.

Status
Not open for further replies.