Sony Expanding PSN: Selling Music, Books, Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Did you also hear the news of it being charged very soon? Im talking about PSN in general. If Sony said "possibly" then its a possitive so.. Just a heads up.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I think your Title could be a little more miss leading since PSN has always offered those things (except books, unless you include comic books released yesterday).

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Now if they would just change the firmware back to where if you have a game or movie in the system it defaults to that item and not something they are trying to sell you.

That is a most annoying "feature" and makes me not want to support it with my money.

MiamiU

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]Now if they would just change the firmware back to where if you have a game or movie in the system it defaults to that item and not something they are trying to sell you. That is a most annoying "feature" and makes me not want to support it with my money.[/citation]

it's a free service and they have to make money somehow, don't they?

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]I just want to play games on my console without having to spend a fortune on new titles, hardware or monthly subscriptions. Just not interested in having Sony running my life for me in their own proprietary paradigm.[/citation]
I'm hoping you don't have a 360 after saying that.

G

it's not a free service if it was advertised as part of the product offering when you bought it. Then you paid for the service up front.

counselmancl

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]Now if they would just change the firmware back to where if you have a game or movie in the system it defaults to that item and not something they are trying to sell you. That is a most annoying "feature" and makes me not want to support it with my money.[/citation]
[citation][nom]MiamiU[/nom]it's a free service and they have to make money somehow, don't they?[/citation]

I've purchased a console, games and movies. I think that is enough of an investment not to be hassled with an advertisement every time I turn my system on. I don't want to use the PSN 99% of the time, just play a game or watch a movie.

The decision to change the default menu selection wasn't motivated by a better user experience but by money. -1 Sony.

IAMCANADIAN

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Forget about buying music and books through PSN. I'm still waiting for PSN Movies in Canada. It's ironic, many of the most popular TV shows and movies are filmed and produced in Canada (X-Files, Stargate, Twilight Films), but do we have access to legitimately stream, purchase or download them online, NOPE! I can't even access a friggin' movie trailer from PSN. I would definitely be willing to purchase content on PSN,... if they made it available! Until that happens PSN is useless in Canada, except for the occassional game demo. Oh well, until Sony (and the MPAA for that matter) decides to pull their heads out of their asses I guess there's always bittorrent.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
PSN is decent, but one issue: It's expensive.
Brand new Ratchet and Clank: Secret Agent Clank UMD is $15-20. On PSN it's $40.

Digital distribution is not always cheaper...

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]PSN is decent, but one issue: It's expensive.Brand new Ratchet and Clank: Secret Agent Clank UMD is $15-20. On PSN it's $40.Digital distribution is not always cheaper...[/citation]

you are comparing a PSP game with a PS3 game...

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I like my PS3... but I won't be buying media content from Sony unless they change the way they structure it. Up until now it's been "Pay a bunch of money and we'll let you watch this media ONLY on the PS3 and ONLY for a limited period of time". Why would I do that when I can find media on the net for free or subscribe to Netflix and watch as much, as often, and for as long as I want?

Their business model for media SUCKS... and it will fail unless they revamp it.

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]you are comparing a PSP game with a PS3 game...[/citation]

Secret Agent Clank is a PSP only game based on the Ratchet and Clank IP. It was originally released on UMD only(as digital distribution wasn't really implemented back then) and apparently more recently made availible on PSN as a digital distribution.

Although that perticular game isn't availible on the "swedish" PSN I doubt it would be more expensive than the game Called Daxter(similar age, genre, UMD copy was made etc) which I can get for 199SEK ~27USD

Generally I don't find PSN overpriced, most of the prices are pretty reasonable all things considered. That said I have paid 90SEK for a couple of classic PS titles which I actually own on CD(Sony should in my opinion let you download your original games to the PSP) which when you think about it is kind of a rip off.

Point is none of the systems xbox live,Wii Ware/Virtual Console, PSN are usually a good place to spend your cash if you want to save money. It's straight-forward, easy to use and convinient for the most part which makes it a decent option.

That being said I am no major customer when it comes to DD games or DLC. If I can I get my hands on a physical medium I can care for myself. If I can't I just have to make a choice of paying for something I know I probably won't be able to access in 15-20 years(like my hundreds of AMIGA games) or simply not.

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Rest easy, the only XBox I ever owned was the original (which I was using as a linux box...)[/citation]
Alright cool cool

Status
Not open for further replies.