Sony FCC Filings Shows PS3 'Super Slim' Might Be Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

why buying a slim ps3 if my fat ps3 is still working? I just got to wait another years for the xbox720 or ps4 maybe.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Sony have always tried to reduce production cost of their console throughout their lives, but this also mean they can probably support them for alot longer, the ps1 lasted about 9 years, the ps2 about 12 years and still having games developed for it, the ps3 will probably last alot longer than we'd expect it to. I don't want to bash MS but when the xbox360 was released they totally disowned the original xbox, I hope they don't do the same with the 360 when the 3rd (720 or whatever its gonna be called) one comes out.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
If my PS3 ever dies this would be a nice replacement but unlike the Crapbox 360 that need to be replaced like a light bulb every couple years the PS3 on average does not break.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]If my PS3 ever dies this would be a nice replacement but unlike the Crapbox 360 that need to be replaced like a light bulb every couple years the PS3 on average does not break.[/citation]

I haven't had any problems with my 360 yet, but I totally agree, they break way too often.

Whatever happened to the "insane" processing power of the PS3 though? It was supposed to be so amazing, yet none of the games look any better than the 360. They way over-hyped the PS3. The Bluray player was a sweet idea though.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I haven't had any problems with my 360 yet, but I totally agree, they break way too often. Whatever happened to the "insane" processing power of the PS3 though? It was supposed to be so amazing, yet none of the games look any better than the 360. They way over-hyped the PS3. The Bluray player was a sweet idea though.[/citation]

It was all about that Cell processor. Thing is, it is very hard to program for and since games are very costly to make and must sell alot to gain profit, it is a high risk situation. Therefore only games that are First Party or Ps3 exclusives usually got the "special treatment" and even then the Xbox 360 and Ps3's GPU's are more or less neck n neck.

The equivalent GPU for ps3's NSX is the 7900 GTX and the Xbox Xenos chip was the X1900. And they were also built on a 90nm manufacturing process!! These babies got hot as hell and on the Xbox side why quite a few of them failed.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I doubt this idea, if it turns out to be a real product, is meant to sway a whole lot of people who already own a PS3. It's for anyone who hasn't bought one yet. It'll probably phase out the current slim, like the slim did the original, as a cost savings in production. It's not a bad deal if they do continue to support it like with the PS2, and they do with the PS4 what they did with the PS3 slim and don't allow backwards compatibility; nice to have a new system to pick up in case the one you have goes bust.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]shloader[/nom]Get the power supply out of the main housing... that'd help.[/citation]

Not sure why you were given neg responses. I think you are spot on with this. With the PS3 taking a form that more resembles a laptop computer with the lid shut, the inverter design would logically follow.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Definitely time for nexgen. Don't get me wrong, I have PS3 and I like it. I also have a PC for gaming:

Here's a quick point: 3D. I have it in my living room. There are several games that I own on both platforms, mainly due to great deals on steam. I have Assassin's Creed 1, 2, 3, on both platforms (redundant, move on). Using my NVidia SLI setup coupled with 3DTV Play, I can get a "3d vision" effect on most of my PC gaming though my Viera TV. The PS3, OTOH, only does a select few. I can use gaming controllers for both. Good sound for both. Except for the PS3 exclusives, the PC has always seemed to have the advantage here.

I would make point that adding another "killer app" or feature would more be in Sony's best interest than re-sizing the hardware footprint. Oh, well...

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I actually think that it's a good idea. The PS3 is still over $200. A shrinking down will help it drop below that amount
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom] Whatever happened to the "insane" processing power of the PS3 though? It was supposed to be so amazing, yet none of the games look any better than the 360. They way over-hyped the PS3. The Bluray player was a sweet idea though.[/citation]Sony always overpromises on performance. That doesn't mean that they have bad consoles or anything, it's just that they are doing the whole "Apple of the 90s" bit where they exaggerate the performance based on select benchmarks.

Also, the CPU in the PS3 is usually used for DSP and graphics boosting, but as a traditional console CPU, it's not as good as the 360's.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]Not sure why you were given neg responses. I think you are spot on with this. With the PS3 taking a form that more resembles a laptop computer with the lid shut, the inverter design would logically follow.[/citation]

Haters gotta hate? Usually my longer posts get negged. hairystuff elaborated more on what I was getting at. Personally I don't believe any modern console should have the power supply internal if it can be avoided at all, especially if it's a >100 Watt device. Too often a point of failure and the heat is a burden to the rest of the system. With the original Xbox I had to redo solder points on Foxconn power supplies at the plug connection. Just a personal preference. External supplies are easier to change in the event of failure.

Hey, they removed the power supply from the PS1 and it was little larger than a discman at that point and cheap.

[citation][nom]hairystuff[/nom]I don't want to bash MS but when the xbox360 was released they totally disowned the original xbox.[/citation]

A lot of initial multi-release titles seemed to run with smoother performance on the Xbox 1 (Gun, for example). And Madden '08 still sold in worthwhile numbers, too. In their defense they did need to put an end to their relationship with hardware suppliers like nVidia for the hosing they got.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Money better spent on a upgradable gaming platform...the gaming pc. 2 x GTx 680s, 2560 x 1600 res, 512Gb SSD you know the ones that kick the crap out of current outdated consoles and any future ones.[/citation]

That is not even logical. That would cost in the neighborhood of $1500 JUST for those parts! Adding the rest of what you need to make a PC you are looking at another 1.5k. Not cost effective in the least when you can get a used ps3 for $200.

G

to the guy above me, but then add $800-1000 for a good bigscreen TV to your console list, and surround sound cause common, half of a game is the sound. thats another $1,000. so $2,000 for a good tv/sound setup with your console is the same price range.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
wireless n? 500 gb hdd? backwards compatible? 1 gb ram? linux? yes please. Oh I thought this was from a reasonable company. Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.