Sony Files Patent on PS2 Emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's definitely nothing like the pc emulator I hope.
Probably the patent only spans over the PS3.

apache_lives

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]^ +1(I just need to get a working game controller for my PC though...)[/citation]

logitech sells a few that are similar, cheap and USB (no vibrate at least for the model i have)

PC Emulated PS2 games look sooooo much better then native PS2 as well..

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
you can play real ps1 discs as as well as the digital download versions in the ps3, hopefully the ps3 still supports the ps2 discs (they were just dvd right?) so that it will be able to play our real games and not just the digital versions. I think there would be less negativity towards the ps3 as a gaming system if it was fully backwards compatible with all playstation games

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
This should have been done right, in the first place! Took sony long enough to realize that, with sales of PS2 still high, it would be smart to to offer backwards compatibility with PS3.

Jazzmain

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I've been so confused about the whole backward compatible with the PS3. Are the PS3 being made now backward compatible for PS2 games or are they saying that you Sony will have a program that you can download from their online virtual world that will allow PS2 game play?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I do realize its too late to discuss the merits of removing the Emotion Engine processor from PS3, but now that PS2 CPU is about 9 years old, doesn't it cost next to nothing to make and integrate into the PS3?

If so, then removing the EE CPU wouldn't have cut the cost much anyway, while at the same time losing many potential customers.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jazzmain[/nom]I've been so confused about the whole backward compatible with the PS3. Are the PS3 being made now backward compatible for PS2 games or are they saying that you Sony will have a program that you can download from their online virtual world that will allow PS2 game play?[/citation]

Its most likely going to come in the form of an updated firmware. Although I wouldn't put it past Sony to offer the emulator through the PSstore for say $50. There is no real telling how they will distribute it though. I'm looking forward to an emulator and the online store PS2 games.

G

Hmm, sounds just like what Transmeta did ... not sure how patentable that is; though I'm always amazed at what gets a patent awarded!

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
eddieroolz : removing the ps2 chip increases ps2s' sale so in a way, 'cuts costs for ps3'

by creating this emulator, they could essentially turn ALL current ps3s into ps2 compatible machines, much better than actually releasing new batches of ps3s with ps2 chips in them.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
it has long been speculated that Sony intended to make a PS2 emulator for PS3 but refused to announce it because it would cause PS3 sales to skyrocket and PS2 sales to plummet which would further bankrupt Sony's Playstation division since PS2s are sold at a profit but PS3s are sold at a loss.

what i'd like to know is if they will make this emulator like the emulators on PC which allows the render resolution to be almost limitless.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]This should have been done right, in the first place! Took sony long enough to realize that, with sales of PS2 still high, it would be smart to to offer backwards compatibility with PS3.[/citation]
I think the fact that they could release this only now says a lot about how difficult it is to code with Cell.
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I do realize its too late to discuss the merits of removing the Emotion Engine processor from PS3, but now that PS2 CPU is about 9 years old, doesn't it cost next to nothing to make and integrate into the PS3?If so, then removing the EE CPU wouldn't have cut the cost much anyway, while at the same time losing many potential customers.[/citation]
What then if they decided to kill the PS2, it would be uneconomical to keep a whole factory that just produces the EE when the PS3 could live without it.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]logitech sells a few that are similar, cheap and USB (no vibrate at least for the model i have)PC Emulated PS2 games look sooooo much better then native PS2 as well..[/citation]

Saitek controlers work awesome; their 6 button model is perfect for N64 emulation too.

PCSX2 is still a release or two away from being truly great; too many games (GoW series for instance)run into problems (although the GPU plugins are probably more at fault...), but for a lost of us, PCSX2 is a viable alternative.

And for the record, doing this is no easy task. Essentially, you're implemening the features of one CPU on another, which is no small feat when you consider the diffrent registers and instruction sets. To be able to do this with any reliability shows that at least Sony knows how to code for its product...

G

Isn't there something wrong with being able to get such a patent? Pcsx2 and many other emulators work using exactly these principles. Actually porting it's dynamic recompiler, while having all documentation of PS2 and PS3 processors/systems and an ability to run arbitrary code on both systems for tests, becomes rather trivial work (while still time consuming)

Status
Not open for further replies.