Sony: Kinect's Problems are ''Quite Big''

Status
Not open for further replies.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
So why the PS3 eye device is not able to handle a full body movement ? and not able to track the depth ? if this device is better ?
simply its not the same device and the PS3 one lack a lot of features... and especialy the market share ;-)

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
The reason Kinect is selling faster is due to more aggressive marketing..

I purchased Kinect a couple of weeks ago.. and have been pretty disappointed with it; the lag is noticable; and the movements aren't as precise as I expected.

For example, the Sonic racing game was the main one I was interested in. The motion controls worked.. okay. But it was quite poor in turning corners, the lag made it very difficult. Thankfully the game has incredibly botched mechanics to make up for the poor control scheme - as in you hit corners and it'll turn automatically for you.

I think the reason 'Dance Central' works so well, is the game is a fair bit slower, and the lag isn't so much of a problem.

Kinect seems pretty half-baked, it seems like it was a bit rushed. Wish they had spent more time getting the technology right. But anyway. It's pretty limited in it's application to gaming.

Move works great - and it's a lot easier for developers to work with as it has buttons. It takes the safe path, basically creating a new Wii Remote with a few handy features. And it works well.

For multiplatform games, no longer do I need to choose between the Wii version of a game (for motion control), or the PS3 version (for good graphics) - Playstation Move lets me have both.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
^^^ That's not to say that PS Move is a killer-app or anything either.. There's not a great range of games that use it yet, and the large majority of the games you're better off with a standard controller anyway (like a lot of motion control gaming, really). (Just wanted to clarify so I didn't sound like a Sony fanboy)

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
How weird, a Playstation guy thinks the Kinect sucks. He seems totally unbiased.

On another note, he also sounds like a moron. He took 8 lines to say what could have been said in 2, if he hadn't used so much filler.

G

Playing with Kinect feels futuristic, playing with Move feels like they just ripped off the Wiimote, because well they did. Kinect does lag a bit, and I wish it didnt, but Move does too, and Move is a pain in the ass because you have to constantly recalibrate the dam thing.

Kinect is a 2013 idea in 2010, while Move is a 2005 idea in 2010.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Kinect is mindblowing tech, where as Move is simply an attempt to catch up...he's right, there is no comparison. The initial products for BOTH games are a bit rough, but some of Sports Champion, and it is mighty weak, for something that is supposed to be "so accurate"

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Kinect "selling like hotcakes, flying off the shelves compared to Move"?
Move is still about 1.5 million units ahead of Kinect, having nowhere near the marketing budget.

What's funny is Sony passed on this tech, knowing full well its limitations when it comes to making games for gamers. Another funny thing is how Microsoft making nearly $100 profit on every Kinect sold, probably to pay for their massive marketing budget. Not exactly benefiting the consumer there.

Both devices are pretty gimmicky though.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Im an owner of both peripherals. In all honesty I thought Move would be something that would get me to use often and Kinect just amuse me a bit ( just for being able to do the things it does alone ) and then wait till something decent is released.

Opinion:
-Move-
I bought Move on my way home from work the morning it was released. I got through the demo. Was fun and accurate even though there is some obvious lag if you are picky like me you will notice but then again works great. Went and purchased sports champions, spent a bit of time playing table tennis ( ffs I know.. ) and a couple more crap till... I realised that that was it. In cases like MAG etc it ruins the games. You cant play FPS with the thing if you are a hardcore gamer. Its really stupid to be exact cause moving while aiming is simply not working all that good so its a no.

-Kinect-
I got it also on my way home from work the first day it was out. I went home, connected the thing and I was already aware that I would look like a dork doing shit infront of my TV. Later that day I had a couple of friends come over. Lets just say that we were making clips while holding our sides from the pain from all the laughter watching eachother dance or face eachother on crappy games like Sonic or even when one went out of bounds and kicked my furniture.
The day after my parents visited me and I thougth "why not..?" so I asked my mom ( who had recently a surgery on her neck/spine and the past 4 months not really that able to move and even more cause afraid to do much ) to try it by starting up the fitness game. Next thing you know she was working out which was cute and nice to see her work out, not relevant to Kinect. Next thing you know I tell her about the Dance Central and she got all excited and asked me to show her. There she was dancing ... Not just funny but also great cause she hadnt dared to be active a while now.

Conclusion:

Move from being the sure thing has no actual games to make it worthy other than Sports champions and a PSN game, which you can only play that much.. and for people like me its something you will only play 4 times max. Maybe 5, i cant remember.

Kinect from the first momment till the last is pure entertainment for me. If you know how to make things worthy and like fun then you can understand where Im coming from when I say I havent stopped laughing each and every time I use it. Tends to be always with friends though. Tomorrow I got a day off and the day after and I already am already expecting people over in the morning :p We were crying from all the laughing while watching a friend dance Lady Gaga and it really was the first time in his whole time "trying" to dance. I even uploaded the one of the videos but I turned it private cause some called him gay too much at work XD

Kinect made its purchase worth the first day even with the first bunch of actual crappy titles and Im glad to know it will only be better later on. Move is honestly feeling like I have a damn dildo sitting around for no reason. I dont hate it. I know its good and not having a Wii makes it worthy. If I had a Wii I wouldnt buy it cause Id rather go get a WiiMote plus for a console made for those kind of games with bunch of titles. But right now its just annoying that I paid for Move, its sub controller and the EyeToy for nothing.

Sorry for my long post but it was asking for opinions on the end of the article XD

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Kinect "selling like hotcakes, flying off the shelves compared to Move"? Move is still about 1.5 million units ahead of Kinect, having nowhere near the marketing budget. What's funny is Sony passed on this tech, knowing full well its limitations when it comes to making games for gamers. Another funny thing is how Microsoft making nearly $100 profit on every Kinect sold, probably to pay for their massive marketing budget. Not exactly benefiting the consumer there. Both devices are pretty gimmicky though.[/citation]

You have to stop being folled by everything you hear. I dont care if you are a fanboy or not but Ill waste a minute to say this. Sony say they passed on the tech yet Sony makes decisions according to their wallet and THEN everything else. Along with the fact they chose the safe way of something WiiAlike was a sure option for Sony and almost every other company. So stop taking for granted things they put out there in any possible way to make it sound convinient. 1+1= you cant know wtf really happened simply cause they can all lie all they want.

As for the sales just to prove you further how willing Sony is to lie when it comes to Move/Kinect, they already said that their 4.1m wasnt sales but shipping ammount of Move controllers. According to today's news they have sold around 2.5m as well max. If you still wanna do the comparison Move has been out for about 3 months now? Kinect's 2,5m sold units are in just 25days. Stop being a fanatic "single console owner" or you will never enjoy shit is my point.

That is all :)

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Why do people expect from this interview. His tite sayz "SONY" Software engineer. Unless he has sent his resume to MS and already got an offer, do you think he'll sing the same tune?? Anyway, i got my Kinect for a week. Manos totally nailed it. Kinect despite all it's flaws (which is basically overblown by SONY fanboys) is the best thing since the XBOX. :p The total body freedom and not worrying about dead batteries while playing or waggling dildos or pressing button to pretend i move my legs. It's just so natural and there's hardly any learning curve. My 5 years old kid can follow the instructions easily and have fun. And for those sad people still complaining about lack of "core" games. Get this. Motion controller is never about "core" games. Is there any GOOD fps game on Wii using motion controller? That was never the idea. It is simply not possible to play for 2 hours like a core game using motion controller unless you are superman, because you have already exhausted all energy within 30 minutes (less if you are couch potato like me). Nothing is going to replace my gamepad for Streefighter or Ninja Gaiden or Steering Wheel with forcefeeback (not even dildo's). So what is there to complain??

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
There is nothing to say Microsoft cannot add a tracking device and a controller for the Kinect which would definetly increase its usability. However, the limiting factor on the Kinect is the XBox360. As the engineer said, its costly resource wise which limits its usage in games. The PS3 on the other hand has the hardware behind it. Obviously he is biased, but this point is not construed. I think this will be the real difference and challenge for developers.

To moving while aiming... Get some skillz.

Kinect will most likely sell like hotcakes for PC users.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
And remember. The runaway success of the Wii is due to casual gamers, not core gamers. Time's are changing. The RIse of the Casual Gamers is here. You'll never catch my wife play any of my RPGs, Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Fable, Mass Effect etc. But she took to Dance Central like to fish to water...and first time ever, approves my tech toys. Yes, Kinect is the first tech toys she approves ever. And my sister-in-law calls me to ask if she can borrow it for a day (after she had tried it the day before). And i looks foward to play my Kinect everyday after work!

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Kinect "selling like hotcakes, flying off the shelves compared to Move"? Move is still about 1.5 million units ahead of Kinect, having nowhere near the marketing budget. What's funny is Sony passed on this tech, knowing full well its limitations when it comes to making games for gamers. Another funny thing is how Microsoft making nearly $100 profit on every Kinect sold, probably to pay for their massive marketing budget. Not exactly benefiting the consumer there. Both devices are pretty gimmicky though.[/citation]
Another SONY fanboy...MS making 100 bucks from the Kinect, you must be reading that article who dissect the Kinect and claims it cost 56 bucks. You know, the your Intel i7 chip is just sand baked in an oven. Should cost less than 5 bucks. But smart people (not you), will know that is not the whole story as the efforts go into designing, testing the cpu, the software needed to run it etc all cost $$$. I think i said enough.

RisnDevil

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
(Don't know how to do a proper quote box, so....)

"Get this. Motion controller is never about "core" games. Is there any GOOD fps game on Wii using motion controller?"

Have you played ANY Wii fps? The CoD series is well done, along with the Resident Evil: XXX Chronicles series, and so is Conduit. Hell, there is a WiiWare FPS that is good (darn good if it gets a bell-curve for being WiiWare). ANY FPS that was built for the Wii motion controls handles like a dream. Sure, the graphics aren't as good, but some of us enjoy the gameplay more.

End of Rant

Now, between the Move and the Kinect...if I had to choose, Move wins. The analogy of 2015 tech in 2010 means nothing when it can't be supported. Microsoft and Sony are both trying to shoehorn their devices onto all games, and if all games can't support it, then people should just stick with the Wii. No matter how you skew the numbers, a core system plus addon device from either Sony or Microsoft is more than the Wii, and if all they support is casual game(r)s, then it's not worth it. The Move (and the PS3) are capable of significant firmware upgrades to make the device more useable, and less lag-prone, which is the win people need/want. I love my Wii, but have to admit: (since I already own a PS3 and 360) I would be happy to migrate to one of those devices if it can deliver the same response and (better) precision of the Wii with better graphics. As much as I care about gameplay, graphics do matter, but not at the cost of usability.

RisnDevil

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]You know, the your Intel i7 chip is just sand baked in an oven. Should cost less than 5 bucks.[/citation]

FTW

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
The biggest problem with Kinect is that you simply cannot play any games that require movement in a game world, unless they release an analog stick peripheral because holding a bulky 360 controller isn't going to cut it. Which means the closest you'll get is games on "rails" that create the illusion of movement, and that kind of gameplay pretty much died with the light gun games of the 90s. Based on its catalog of games, it looks like Kinect is aimed at girls. And the only person I know who has one is a girl, and the only other person I know interested in it is my brother's wife. If you can accept that you'll only be playing dance games, party games, and various casual games, then I suppose you'll be happy with your purchase. But with the Wii and Move offering more versatile technology and better games, then I don't see the point. I think Xbox fanboys think they'll be running around in Halo, shooting with their hands or something, and confuse a motion sensing camera with a holodeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.