Sony Launches 22" Bravia with Built-In PS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeEAdrian

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
Or you could just buy a TV you actually like the look of (instead of that clunky looking one in the picture) and buy a PS2 which is probably dirt cheap now. Heck, you might even save money doing it that way.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
lolwut indeed, looks like they've just taken a small flat panel and glued some left over ps2's they had knocking around in the warehouse to the bottom. o_O

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]CrazeEAdrian[/nom]Or you could just buy a TV you actually like the look of (instead of that clunky looking one in the picture) and buy a PS2 which is probably dirt cheap now. Heck, you might even save money doing it that way.[/citation]

No kidding. Although the convenience of a combined PS2 + TV might be sort of nice, you can get a brand new PS2 for $100 (considerably less if you're willing to buy used), and a 22-24" 1080p TV. Granted, Sony's Bravia line is pretty decent (and the ethernet ports are a nice addition), but I don't know why anyone would buy a 720p television these days. Even if you don't yet have a 1080p input device, getting a 720p television ensures that you'll have to buy *another* TV if you decide to make that switch.

To each their own, though. I'm sure there are people out there that will think this is a useful option. I can't say that I would have turned one down back in the day - certainly would have been easy to move around.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom] Granted, Sony's Bravia line is pretty decent (and the ethernet ports are a nice addition), but I don't know why anyone would buy a 720p television these days. Even if you don't yet have a 1080p input device, getting a 720p television ensures that you'll have to buy *another* TV if you decide to make that switch.[/citation]

1080p only offers a significant difference in image fidelity in 37" and up screens when used as a TV. Anything below that is a waste, that is why, unless it is a computer monitor as you sit very close to it, most TV's below that size only offer 720p.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]hmm google PS2 emulator..then tell me why i would buy this.[/citation]

Um...current PS2 emulation still sucks for most games IMO. But so does this TV...

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]Best idea?ebay an old 20gb PS3.Get backwards compatibility AND be cool like the airforce![/citation]

Wrong. As someone who is on his second PS3 - a slim, I speak from experience on the failure rate of the first generation bricks (the Blu-Ray laser on my 60GB died after just two and a half years of use).

Sony offered to repair it for $150. After a lot of research and reading on lasers and other parts dying on that generation and even failures after a Sony repair (or self repair with parts on Ebay), I cut my losses and got a Slim.

The failure rate is at least 50% over time. Of the 4 friends I have who bought the original brick, 2 had to buy new ones. So including me that's a 3/4 failure rate. Sony knew that first design was flawed.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
1080p only offers a significant difference in image fidelity in 37" and up screens when used as a TV. Anything below that is a waste, that is why, unless it is a computer monitor as you sit very close to it, most TV's below that size only offer 720p.

I think most people would be using it only a few feet away. A 22 inch widescreen TV is a waste if you are several feet away.

To others wondering why it is 1080p. Of course they used 720p....1080p would make the PS2 games look even worse.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]nexus9113[/nom]1080p only offers a significant difference in image fidelity in 37" and up screens when used as a TV. Anything below that is a waste, that is why, unless it is a computer monitor as you sit very close to it, most TV's below that size only offer 720p.[/citation]

That's a farce when it comes to gaming and resolutions. Show me a 24" LCD that displays 1920x1080 resolution and a 22" that displays 1280x760 and I'll show you a bigtime difference in display quality and text/character readability, let alone graphics. But for the PS2, that would be moot of course since they never made games above 480i capability.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Well, this might make an interesting one for a young kids room, but as much as I want to like this its not easy to think of a real market for it. It certainly looks like I could slap my 22" LG monitor on top of my PS2 and effectively end up with the same device.
I've noticed some people in the comments saying that 720p is not enough, and it should really be 1080p. I kind of agree but really, it should not even be 720p.
Most PS2 games were built with 4:3 SD in mind. A limited few support 16:9 widescreen resoloutions, and even less support 480p Progressive Scan mode, necessary to make the game look half decent on an LCD. The result is most PS2, and near enough all PS1 games will look rubbish on this compared to how they would look on an old 22" CRT you could pick up for about £15 at your local cash converters.
Throw in an old school PS2 sound system, a used PS2 and youve probably got a better solution for less than £100

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]nexus9113[/nom]1080p only offers a significant difference in image fidelity in 37" and up screens when used as a TV. Anything below that is a waste, that is why, unless it is a computer monitor as you sit very close to it, most TV's below that size only offer 720p.[/citation]

No go to the store...most LCDs are 1080p now...I just got a 22'' LED 1080p for $199.

G

might as well put in a minidisc player on it so to complete the convergence of obsolete technologies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]hmm google PS2 emulator..then tell me why i would buy this.[/citation]

Because emulation requires you to dump a BIOS from the physical hardware you own. Unless you're supporting piracy. (In b4 the games are bad so i can pirate them). Oh, and even the best ps2 emulator doesn't emulate the ps2 perfectly, regardless of hardware.

[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]That's a farce when it comes to gaming and resolutions. Show me a 24" LCD that displays 1920x1080 resolution and a 22" that displays 1280x760 and I'll show you a bigtime difference in display quality and text/character readability, let alone graphics. But for the PS2, that would be moot of course since they never made games above 480i capability.[/citation]

Resolution is a count of how many pixels the image is comprised of. The difference between seeing 720p and 1080p on a screen of that size is pretty minuscule because the difference in size between the pixels is minuscule...The average person won't notice a difference worth justifying the cost because they'll blend about the same.

Most well regarded TV manufacturers like Sony or Samsung do not make 1080 TVs in that size, they have a reputation to uphold. The ones that do are just trying to take advantage of poorly informed consumers who don't understand anything other than that one number is larger than the other. Enjoy your Insignia/Dynex TV for the year it lasts.
And because I know someone is going to point out the Sony Internet TV is 24 inches and 1080p, it's not a Bravia, it isn't in their quality line. They're selling that one based on Google TV, not excellent picture quality.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]That's a farce when it comes to gaming and resolutions. Show me a 24" LCD that displays 1920x1080 resolution and a 22" that displays 1280x760 and I'll show you a bigtime difference in display quality and text/character readability, let alone graphics. But for the PS2, that would be moot of course since they never made games above 480i capability.[/citation]

Some PS2 games have 480p support, although as ive said in my previous post this is a minority of games. There are 3 that support 1080i also. Those being Gran Turismo 4, Tourist Trophy and certain Japanese editions of Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Those 3 games (if Sony hook up the PS2 using VGA inside the TV, which I doubt, they probably just normally SCART-RGB), will look great on this TV. Everything else will look naff BECAUSE it is an HD-LCD TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.