Sony Offering Free ID Theft Protection to Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Aye, Sony will protect you. I can't even come up with a good easily joke to this because bottom line nobody is going to by it nor trust them. The Mega-Corp that kicked the hornets nest with their impenetrable servers went down just like Scarface. One moment of looking like a badass and ultimately going down like a little bitch.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
and what if I signed up AFTER June 18?

I don't play online much.

is also not fair that this forces users to "sign-in" by a certain date "or else".

G

Free for 12 months? So that means in 13 months when everyone thinks they are safe their identity will be stolen and Sony will just thumb their nose at them

G

So, hold onto those credit card numbers for just a little over a year, and then try stealing those identities.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
You don't even understand what the service is. They monitor your "identity" to make sure it isn't being used by someone else. Debix will warn you if they see strange behavior like your name being used somewhere you aren't. It's "identity insurance".

The idea is that Debix will protect your identity now that it HAS been stolen. Problem is, this now means the hackers will sit on the info for 13 months. If you don't renew with Debixafter a year at your own expense, you're still screwed.

Sony is really showing new levels of incompetence in handling this matter. You should read the fine print before signing up for this, it likely includes waiving your right to sue and will prove to be useless since only a lifetime of identity monitoring would actually protect people.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]and what if I signed up AFTER June 18?I don't play online much.is also not fair that this forces users to "sign-in" by a certain date "or else".[/citation]

I was confused when I read your comment because I thought you had misunderstood the article. In reality, I had made a typo. Users will begin receiving activation codes in the next few days but they will have to *wait* until June 18 to sign up for the service. Really sorry for the confusion, but it should be all fixed now.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks for the information Jane. Too bad for Sony's customers it seems to be too little too late. All of this seems to be Sony doing damage control trying to prevent the one thing large corporations despise. I have two words for you Sony. "Class Action."

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Lot of negative comments on this thread. Aside from the fact that anything is hackable (even if Sony had state of the art security these hackers would've gotten in), there's nothing wrong with them offering complimentary ID protection to anyone affected by this. As to why it's not free in the first place, why would identity protection services be "free"? All it is is insurance, and I've never found any free insurance.

Don't understand why people continue to kick a company while its down, especially when the PS3 still has the best value overall as far as consoles are concerned.

I'd like to see what Microsoft would do if Sony was out of the gaming industry. They're already indirectly ripping their customers off, whether it's through being the only online service charging people to play each other, overpriced add-ons, selling out to the casuals, etc. Then there's the fact that they continue to give the PC segment cold leftovers. How can anyone be cool with that.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Who is going to trust their service after all this? No amount of damage control is going to restore the same level of trust as before the attack.

ollieg

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Jane, the article says PSN and SOE users, but the quotes from Sony reps don't include SOE in their statements, only PSN and Qriocity. Do you know which of the two statements is correct?

Thanks

G

Too late. Coincidently someone in New York starting using the credit card I used for PSN two days ago. Pet store and a hotel charge. My bank caught though.

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
For tons of the posters here, the lot of you are acting as if your spoiled irritated children who are pissed you're not getting your way. Fact is the security breach occurred *AFTER* (repeat) *AFTER* it was initially assaulted. Its not going to be a class-action lawsuit and Sony will loose. It makes me even suspect more that it was someone just pissed off @ Sony trying to make a mute point.

If this occurred before the initial Anon assault on Sony, then yes it would be a huge liability behind it. But the fact people stole information from a security system that was already both assaulted, crippled and compromised AFTER THE FACT gives it easy reasoning that they aren't liable for it; they didn't bring the network and cause the re-allocation of resources that had caused breaches in other areas.

In that respect it is still possible to actually pursue Anon in court for the reason of interfering with the normal operations of a business and to also pursue whether they were directly or indirectly responsible. Regardless of their mo, they are, at most, still; indirectly responsible for this mess as well.

For a final point, really gamers, get off the high~horse of bashing Sony, its really moronic and stupid. I actually support the fact they went after Hotz. Why? Because its still their service and way too many homebrewers are acting like little kids because they can't brew their system to mostly play pirated games. I'M VERY SORRY SONY IS MAKING IT HARDER TO PLAY PIRATED GAMES BUT TAKE YOUR WHINING AND CRYING TO KINDERGARTEN WHERE IT BELONGS! Those posts are getting old and redundant...

Status
Not open for further replies.