Sony Officially Intros 3D Head Mounted Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I don't know, $800 seems like a bit much...and the idea of not going to the movies with friends or family is kind of a negative in my book. Gaming would bee cool in that though. Maybe in 6 years it'll be cheap enough for me to buy.

G

il pay that much when its a contact lense that creates a holograph infront of me

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
a lot of poor people on Toms today. If it was $100 would you think it had a chance of being decent. The price at least makes me curious about the quality of it.

9th

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Don't know about this being the first 3D glasses. Virtual Products released Virtual i-O glasses for 3-D viewing with head tracking support back in 1995. Though there weren't that many programs/videos available in 3-D back then unlike nowadays so it didn't take off.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Seems a bit big. I want the wrap 1200 sunglasses style :D

http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_wrap_1200.html

But even worse resolution. I want to try before I buy. If they are a "half immersive" flickering experience like the last one I tried then the wait is not over for me.

I wonder why they can put a 1080p panel the size of a coin in a projector, But somehow they can't make that work in a 3d head mounted display ?? Anyone know the technical realities that limits the resolution?.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
This might be useful for 3d pron, but I think anyone around would still notice when you drop your pants...

As a side note, cut down on the sensationalism. I know your just copying and pasting what Sony has published, but come on. Its also the equivalent to a 15" screen viewed from 12" away (doesn't sound that big now does it). Or you can say "This is like viewing a screen 25% larger than the SUN* (from a distance of 1au)" if your going to sensationalize things, go big or go home!

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
When combined with TrackIR, you would get a virtual reality setup that would be pretty sweet. It would be perfect for those flight simulators with full range of movement and clickable cockpits, like DCS A-10 and DCS Black Shark. Really any TrackIr game would be awesome! Go to YouTube and search for TrackIR if you don’t know what it is and you will see what I am talking about.

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
->Dalethepcman While I agree with you on the sensationalism sillyness. The screen description is accurate. Its made this way because the appearance of the screen, when you look at it, will actually be 60 feet away and probably gives the roomy feel of being in a theater.

It can't really be compared to a 15" screen 12" away. Its the focal point that decides the distance and screen size. Even if its an illusion it still appears that way.

As an example the vuzix solution has a focal point that is a lot closer. 10 feet and 75 inch.

G

the future come closer where the online game "the world" from [dot]hack games become reality .. it's gonna be fun !

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
[citation][nom]TeKEffect[/nom]a lot of poor people on Toms today. If it was $100 would you think it had a chance of being decent. The price at least makes me curious about the quality of it.[/citation]
Buy the Razer Blade while you're at it.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
OK seriously, Virtual IO has had this for like 15+ years.

I remember playing Magic Carpet in 3D with the headset also doing motion tracking in the 486 days, and then afterwords watching 3D jaws from a VCR.

"world's first" head-mounted personal 3D viewer" is pretty much an all around BS claim.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised that many people using these will get nausea the same way people get seasick / carsick etc.

On the bright side; Yay! You can watch 3D on the toilet!

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
So a giant screen with only 720p? The tech sounds really cool but that would be pretty low res. This will become a lot better when they go 1080p or even 1440p, if they ever do...

Status
Not open for further replies.