Sony, Panasonic Team Up For Next-Gen OLED Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Wow. Harsh analyst. I wonder who he owns stock in. Samsung maybe?

Both Panasonic and Sony make some of the best televisions on the market. Those two teaming up in any way is good for consumers. Them teaming up to lower costs is even better.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Hopefully they'll come up with cheap 27'' 2500x1600/2500x1440/etc. panels soon.[/citation]

What's wrong with Catleap q270 or any other number of cheap korean monitors?

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
After the cluster F that was the purchase of my 60" Sony SXRD rear projection TV (advertised 1080p but 1080i as well as massived recall problems). Ill never touch a Sony in my life. However, my 1080p Panny Projector has run flawlessly for 5 years punching out to a 133" screen (10 foot wide)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zippyzion[/nom]Wow. Harsh analyst. I wonder who he owns stock in. Samsung maybe? Both Panasonic and Sony make some of the best televisions on the market. Those two teaming up in any way is good for consumers. Them teaming up to lower costs is even better.[/citation]

there was a time when sony was the best you could get, at least on a normal consumer level, but that time has FAR gone away, and now its brand recondition that leads to a higher price, and not a higher price on the products own merits.

bloodymaze

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Sharp is by far the best manufacturer I have seen for TVs in a long time.

80" TV that can pull off no ghosting or artifacting on the screen while gaming/watching blu-ray is A+ in my book.

Expensive TVs, but worth the extra $.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zippyzion[/nom]Wow. Harsh analyst. I wonder who he owns stock in. Samsung maybe? Both Panasonic and Sony make some of the best televisions on the market. Those two teaming up in any way is good for consumers. Them teaming up to lower costs is even better.[/citation]

Gotta agree. I wonder if he has been paid for by Samsung or LG.

I have my heart set on a Sharp AQUOS myself. I've used their cell phones with AQUOS technology and it was stunning.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

I've never heard of any "teaming up" that resulted in lower costs for consumers; normally it's competition that lowers the price.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]mlcloud[/nom]What's wrong with Catleap q270 or any other number of cheap korean monitors?[/citation]

Nothing but not a lot of people know about them. They are one of the best deals right now, prices sit around $310 on fleebay right now

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Great news , both companies make great TV's , very smart for them to get together and join forces, Im looking forward to see what they come up with.

G

With both of them working together will bring more maturity to the OLED tv/monitor market but
unfortunately both those companies r not known for bringing affordable prices. Sony will
always OP they items while Panasonic may not OP much as Sony but their products r still
consider premium. Will need more manufacturers before any decent prices r to b seen.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tomaz99[/nom]I've never heard of any "teaming up" that resulted in lower costs for consumers; normally it's competition that lowers the price.[/citation]
In this case, they are forced to team-up because of competition.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Well Sharp has the right idea. Make Huge Tvs that eventually sell for cheap . All you have to do is Calibrate it and it will look as good as any other tv.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
So, the old partnership that forced Blu-Ray (or is that Blo-ray) on us with their back-handed business practices and downright industrial-scale bribery have gotten back together to try to force more of their crap on everyone by jumping on the OLED band-wagon. These sort of firms really do deserve to fail.

I just hope the other manufactures of screens don't feel obliged to have to compete at any great effort and carry also decide to continue making their perfectly good LED screens (which in many cases are still superior) along side their range of OLEDs and not try to take on this new partnership and in doing so do themselves any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.