Sony Patches PlayStation Password Change Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

saidge

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Mr Seybold, you're missing the point. Sony spent a month with PSN down, performing damage control, investigations, and locking down security. Now PSN is coming back online, your CEO is brushing off the issue, calling it a 'hiccup', meanwhile your company has left a security hole so big my grandmother could steal someones account. Worse still - being able to change your password with an email address and a birthday is so incomprehensibly insecure, we're all sort of shocked. Average Joe could pluck out the problem there, let alone the security experts with fat paychecks that we expect you've been paying for this fat faux pas I could drive a semi through.

With security like this, who needs hackers?

G

"Sony Patches PlayStation Password Change Exploit"
They didn't "patch" it yet, they took down the bloody site. there is a difference, especially if you can't logon, because you can't change your password.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Nonimus[/nom]"Sony Patches PlayStation Password Change Exploit"They didn't "patch" it yet, they took down the bloody site. there is a difference, especially if you can't logon, because you can't change your password.[/citation]
I will come to this page just to laugh some more. You Tom's Hardware commenters are great. Thank you for the lolz. :D :D :D

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I haven't been on lately but this is still really freakin' stupid. To be honest (here come apple fanbois) I'd like to see apple take a big blow to product secrecy, it would just make that small but big devil in me so satisfied. Plus then I would know all about the iPhone 5..

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
The funny thing here, is by the sound of things... Almost everyone commenting on this appears to think they could do better. I'd almost be willing to pay good money to watch middle school kids hack/exploit their way through all the solutions these "two cent experts" could muster.

In a world where everyone should know there is no such thing as "hack proof", I sure seem to see alot of people who forget these things. Sony is doing the best they can. Believe you me.. They don't want their system down. They want our money after all. Things happen, and the bigger the system, the harder they fall. And sometimes, all it takes, is a little jab...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm glad I've waited until now to even think about getting a PS3. :D I just might wait a bit longer and sit back with a bag of popcorn to see anymore fallout.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]scuba dave[/nom]The funny thing here, is by the sound of things... Almost everyone commenting on this appears to think they could do better. I'd almost be willing to pay good money to watch middle school kids hack/exploit their way through all the solutions these "two cent experts" could muster.In a world where everyone should know there is no such thing as "hack proof", I sure seem to see alot of people who forget these things. Sony is doing the best they can. Believe you me.. They don't want their system down. They want our money after all. Things happen, and the bigger the system, the harder they fall. And sometimes, all it takes, is a little jab...[/citation]
The problem was that unlike what happened to the PSN this wasn't a hack. It was a big failure on Sony part.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Nonimus[/nom]"Sony Patches PlayStation Password Change Exploit"They didn't "patch" it yet, they took down the bloody site. there is a difference, especially if you can't logon, because you can't change your password.[/citation]

you have a better idea? no? thats what i thought :) FAIL

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The problem was that unlike what happened to the PSN this wasn't a hack. It was a big failure on Sony part.[/citation]

As I said hack/exploit. Things happen. We are all human.. some more than others. Stop expecting perfection. I think it would be obvious after such an amazing catastrophe that happened with this hack on PSN and all, that Sony would be pouring a lot of money into making sure that the system is well tested for bugs, exploits, holes, etc. However, what must be remembered is that PSN is a major cash cow for Sony.. The amount of pressure they would have been exerting on their entire team of security experts, programmers, debuggers, testers, etc etc, would have been overwhelming. And with such pressure, some angles will be inevitably missed, or overlooked in favor of more severe angles. Being in the military, I've seen alot of how people buckle trying to get almost impossibly large tasks done in incredibly small windows of time.. And seeing all the sporatic details that can sometimes be missed in the whirlwind of tasks and effort.

There is nothing that could have prevented it. If it wasn't this problem, it would have been another. Calm down. :)

G

@scuba dave

and i guess you cant fault banks who write the unlock combination on the vault itself, yes there will be exploits and you cant secure from everything but we expect you should be able to secure against the standard stuff

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
URL exploit, thats just embarassing! Wish the other countrys could follow Japans goverments way by not allow psn to go online, if they overlook even a simple thing like that it only proves the goverment was right that the network isnt ready to be online yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.