Sony Says the PSP2 Won't Be Unaffordable

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I think it'll launch at $350~$300 and eventually work its way down to $200 in a few years.[/citation]

agreed. and don't forget the fact that Sony will also tell the general public that it was a total marketing blunder and that it was a test for their upcoming product like they did with the Go. lol they really need to stick with the PSP and UMD for a little while longer instead of rehashing a portable PSX again. This thing isn't going to make it anywhere. The only reason why they are able to put out an updated PSP is not only for shelf space / brand recognition but also because it is (probably, I dunno..they lose money all the time I read about them in the news) a multi billion dollar company and they can make any product they like. Problem is, I am starting to believe that Nintendo has a bigger bank account and is just waiting until the times they need to put out more graphically superior products such as a HD next gen Wii or the Nintendo 3DS. Nintendo should have / could have had PSP or Gamecube if you will.. style graphics years ago but they stuck with the lower quality device due to pokemon and zelda not requiring very high hardware specifications. Nintendo is a money machine, not a technology machine.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I'm guessing it'll be $349.99, just because $300 sounds a little low for all that tech, and $400 would turn too many people off. It does sound appealing though if it'll have some good games.

G

"The PSP2, codenamed NGP, boasts a quad-core ARM Cortex A-9 CPU; a quad-core Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX543MP4+ GPU; a 5-inch touchscreen OLED display (960x544); a rear touchpad; dual analog sticks; a gyroscope and accelerometer; dual cameras; an integrated mic and stereo speakers; GPS; WiFi; Bluetooth and 3G. There’s also a whole new UI called LiveArea, which allows for multiple homescreens and integrated social networking. "

Sounds like alot of features I don't want and am not willing to pay extra for. Now if they are willing to release an edition with the following features removed: [rear touchpad; a gyroscope and accelerometer; dual cameras; an integrated mic; GPS; Bluetooth and 3G] and then knock off 100-150 dollars then you have a deal.

Really Sony, this is a video game system, not a smartphone. Give the gamers a portable console system with only the features we need.

haxs101

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I remember paying 200$ for a FIRST gen PSP.. I don't do much handheld gaming, but this seems nice, if the price is right..

ciderax

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Well, just based on how consoles sell you definitely will get your moneys worth in hardware... I do know gaming company's do take quite a loss per console they sell. it's all in the games to make up for it.

might seem like a bit much technology for now, but this level of technology will keep the PSP2 current for 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS